Question regarding general schematic detail for transformers

Could some electronics guru please help ? Maybe this is a very silly question, so pardon me. In a schematic, a transformer is generally shown with 2 -3 parallel bars in the middle to indicate the core. Often, I have seen the parallel bars replaced by a thick, solid bar. So, do the parallel bars represent a laminated core transformer and the thick single bar represent a ferrite core transformer. Any hints, suggestions would be of help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
dakupoto

No such luck. Someone out there may make such a distinction on their schematics, but generally all the lines just mean a core of some sort.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

It's not a distinction that's been used anywhere that I've worked.

Schematic symbols are arbitrary, like words in a language, and mean what th e majority understand them to mean. Three parallel lines isn't going to be confused with a connection (single line) or a capacitor (two lines). A sing le thick line is equally distinctive(if more tedious to create with a penci l or an pen). I doubt if there's anything more going on than that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I was taught, solid lines mean laminated iron core, dashed means powdered or ferrite.

Occasionally you'll see a single line, which might imply a smaller core (or a lazy drafter).

A single line with an arrowhead means a variable reluctance coil (e.g., slug tuned).

Three lines might simply reinforce the concept of a laminated iron core (proactive drafter?), or provide a symmetrical way to connect a grounding wire to the core (common in sensitive applications, audio amps, test equipment..).

Sensitive applications may also have shields, usually indicated as dashed lines between a given winding, or set of windings, and the core.

There's also the uncommon tradition of a diagonal slash at each end: . / . /--------------/ . /--------------/ . / to indicate a square loop (magnetic amplifier type) core.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

 wrote in message
> Could some electronics guru please help ? Maybe this is a
> very silly question, so pardon me.
> In a schematic, a transformer is generally shown with 2 -3
> parallel bars in the middle to indicate the core. Often, I
> have seen the parallel bars replaced by a thick, solid bar.
> So, do the parallel bars represent a laminated core
> transformer and the thick single bar represent a ferrite
> core transformer. Any hints, suggestions would be of help.
> Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Tim Williams

EE's knew what you meant, but the OP is not a EE, so should probably expand that to

"...indicate a square hysteresis core..." [shich actually means a core WITH square hysteresis characteristics] and then add, where the core has almost no linear range of operation, it is either fully saturated one way or the other. Such cores are used in circuitry called 'magnetic amplifiers'

Reply to
RobertMacy

Now that people use CAD and don't draw on paper, the tendency is to use the standard CAD package symbol for an inductor or a transformer. So all Ls look the same, and all two-winding Ts look the same.

Our transformers and inductors each have two bars to suggest a core... even if there's no core. There are really no rules for this sort of thing.

In LT Spice, inductors are squigglies with no bars. A transformer is any two or more inductors, anywhere, that are associated by a "K" command, itself anywhere on the screen.

Note that L denotes an inductor and T a transformer. Is's annoying when amateurs make up things like IC3 and FET7 and RLY2. There *are* rules for reference designators.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is the way I have seen schematics; the drawing showing / indicating nature of the core.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Rules that many engineers don't follow.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There are *conventions*, not "rules". (Where are the Designator Police?)

Reply to
Don Y

There are MIL and ANSI specs for reference designators.

My only break from the rules is to use D (not CR) for diodes. I don't use many dynamotors on my boards these days.

Things like CON4 and TR3 and RN5 and POT2 look dumb. But everyone is free to look dumb if they want to.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Thanks to each of you for your responses -- pretty much my original ideas are confirmed. FYI, the OP is both an EE and a physicist -- Masters in both from Univ. od Texas Austin. Last year, the OP published a book on high level electronic system design(SystemC and SustemC-AMS).

Reply to
dakupoto

So, you do no use Crystal Rectifiers, you use poems to death (Die Odes)...

Reply to
Robert Baer

12-step recovery diodes.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, you could probably make exactly such a device with heterojunction fabs available these days!

[Oops, forgot a punny reply.]

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Something about doping maybe?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

OOooooh...THAT is *good*!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Forgot to give equal opportunity to homojunction fabs...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Are Trans-istors bidirectional switches?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Those aren't so good when your circuit needs to run on a battery; they don't work without higher power.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

That was a long time ago. the way some are drawn now you cano't tell a frasenstat from a thinamajig.

Like this :

jurb6006