Question about power capacity of electrical motors.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 7/21/2017 8:57 AM:

Yes, that's why they had her drive the van, it was impressive for neither the Jaguar or the Van, right?

Why would I care? I don't drive at Nurburgring very often. The point is that even with the drive train self-engaging a limit on power, the Tesla still runs with the fastest real world cars.

--

Rick C
Reply to

You really can't stay on topic can you? We were discussing size and weight reduction vs. power output, not efficiency.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 7/21/2017 9:05 AM:

That's not what happened. I'm sure the Tesla can run at high speeds as well. It's the pedal to the metal (plus the fact that the Tesla uses the motors for braking) that makes it self limit power. The Tesla is well equipped for high speed driving with its very low coefficient of drag reducing the power required.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Blow it out your ass, stalker.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Are you saying the Tesla won't pull a boat? The car didn't melt down or implode. It continued to pull a very respectable time. Actually I don't think the model S will pull a boat as it has no trailer hitch. The model X has a trailer hitch option for 5,000 pounds. Do you think it dies when you actually connect a trailer?

So is the Tesla lacking in acceleration? Check it out. The model S has the fastest 0 to 60 time in the world according to Road and Track, 2.3 seconds. All those heavy batteries really slow it down!

Too bad the car sucks so bad in all other regards. Oh, wait, it's really a great car in other regards! I guess you like to join JL in whining.

BTW, power to weight doesn't determine acceleration. Torque vs. weight does, and *THAT* is why the Tesla model S is the fastest production 0 to 60 car in the world.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Because they don't understand basic Newtonian mechanics, rather they listen to everyone else who spouts nonsense.

You mean 20 minutes and you don't need to empty your bladder after driving for four hours? I guess you pee into Gatorade bottles while you drive? I never developed that skill.

I don't duplicate my other post about acceleration and 0 to 60 times.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Just waiting for you to actually *say* something.

So??? I'm still waiting for you to say something significant about this. It's also not practical to launch a Cessna 172 to the moon. SO WHAT?

Solar powered planes exist and have flown around the world. Unlike gas powered or jet engines they can stay up for days as they don't need to be refueled after six hours or so. They fly well above the weather and collect sun all day and continue to fly at night using batteries and altitude accumulated during the day.

Where is the problem?

--

Rick C
Reply to

I didn't remember you for sure as I haven't seen you post lately. Now I recognize your signature, profanity and anger. I thought I had you killfiled... Later.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yeah, right.

So solar powered airplanes other than motor gliders are not practical.

Attempts to drag in red herrings about the Wright Brothers and the Moon noted.

All of those are motor gliders, thus proving my point.

Your utter lack of understanding.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Ya know, rickman, you really are a pimple on the ass of mankind. Try to find a different group to hassle.

Reply to
John S

Yeah, I don't well tolerate puerile stalkers.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Jim, there is no reward in arguing with the troll.

Reply to
John S

I've never disputed these planes are like gliders. I'm asking why this is significant??? Who cares? I've already told you why they are significant. They fly missions that no other plane can do. I don't understand what your issue with them is.

--

Rick C
Reply to

As has been said many times now, because gliders require very little power to remain airborne.

And that is very little in both relative and absolute terms.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

I still don't see the relevance. Why should anyone care about this fact?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Because someone with at least a small amount of sense is capable of understanding that airplanes, other than sailplanes, do not have enough surface area to be able to capture enough solar energy to supply their energy rquirements to remain airborne.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

This is a demonstration of Chimp's level of scientific understanding.

Reply to
benj

You keep saying the same simple fact over and over. I have no idea why you feel this is so important. I'm done asking you to explain.

--

Rick C
Reply to

And I am done trying to explain it to you as either you are the dumbest nob on the planet or a troll pretending not to understand something so simple.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

At least this troll admits to being a lier and troll.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to