Question about current from stun gun

Hi all, I noticed from another conversation that commercial stun guns are current limited to 1ma to 4ma hopefully making them non-lethal. I ran across this homemade stun gun that seems to light a bulb. I don't think

4 milliamps will do that. It is possible that the filament in the bulb is open and what is seen is an arc within the bulb. Take a look and tell me what you think, I think the output current from this might be lethal.

Mikek

amdx

Oh just never mind :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx
4mA is plenty sufficient to kill someone. If the victim has a pacemaker it has a reasonably high chance of death (i.e far too high), if they have an I CD it is almost guaranteed to kill them. Considering most of the Police cou ldn't be trusted with a food blender, a tazer is like giving them a red but ton for the nuclear arsenal.
Reply to
chris_w_gibson

Up the power a little and you can crush rock. It's all for science, of course.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Twenty years ago I helped demo some equipment at Caltech, and saw a system they had, that created an arc it water. It was used to experiment with remediation of chemicals. I don't think theirs had that power, but I never saw it operate. Mikek

amdx

Haven't seen the video and won't, but 1 or 4 mA has nothing to do with standards on these devices.

A lot of web based resources concerning stun guns or tasers disappeared from the web, shortly after the death of Robert Dziekanski.

A supplement to the UK HOSDB2 doesn't seem to be web searchable. At ~5MB, I can't host it. A.B.S.E. upload attempts only produce errors.

RL

Reply to
legg

Found it:

RL

Reply to
legg

Interesting. That document states the peak current from the M26 as 9 amps whereas this one says 18 amps:

I guess the load conditions may have been different.

I think I put a link to that Carleton University document on the wikipedia page, but someone unlinked it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones