pulse width limiter - Page 2

Re: pulse width limiter

Tektronix Signal Processing System.  The Tek SPS system I was using in
'77 (bought a couple more in another position in the early '80s) had a
7704A/DPO, a couple of R7912 transient digitizers (amazing beasts),
and a PDP-11/35 to do the number crunching.

Re: pulse width limiter

Yah. Not exactly a scope FFT.

I used VAXen in the mid '80s at grad school.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: pulse width limiter

Sure it was.  Just took a lot more real estate. ;-)

It did have a programming language (Tek BASIC) but FFT (and RFFT, INT,
DIFF) were waveform primitives, pretty much like buttons on a scope.

We had  Vaxen, too, but they were pretty much just hosted text editing
and acted as file servers for other test equipment.

Re: pulse width limiter

You youngsters might not believe me, but HP and Tek used to charge
*extra* for things like signal averaging and FFT. Really!

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: pulse width limiter
On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 17:13:58 -0700, John Larkin

Yeah, about a quarter megabuck.  ;-)

Re: pulse width limiter

Or $500 for a little plug-in eprom stick that enabled FFTs. When other
people started including that for free, they had to go along.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: pulse width limiter

I don't recall "little plug-in eprom sticks" in 1977. Did we even have PC's?

Re: pulse width limiter

I didn't say that the scope FFT plugins happened in '77.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: pulse width limiter

The first EPROM, Intel's 1702 got US patent 3660819 in 1972.

The first IBM PC (5150) came in 1981, using the brand-new
Intel 8088 CPU.

Before the IBM PC, there were some computers for personal use,
like Commodore PET in 1977, but they were of little use in
professional use. The professional computin used mini-computers,
such as DIgital PDP-8 and PDP-11, DG Nova and Eclipse, HP
21 series (2116, 21MX ...)

--

-TV

Re: pulse width limiter

The first machine I recall that had a socket for accessory plug-in ROM was
the Tandy 100 (1983).   That was how you could install a program without
using a tape drive.

Re: pulse width limiter
On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 12:20:30 -0700, John Larkin

Not in '77.  ;-)

Re: pulse width limiter

Drive it with a CCS, or current limiting resistor.

Let the user saturate it, it's their signal to screw up.  Ferrite doesn't
burn. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: pulse width limiter

Oh, the supply will be current limited, voltage and current limit
programmable by more DACs. But I don't want ugly pulses.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: pulse width limiter

Sounds like a good solution would be a delay-line item.   Blumlein pulser?

Re: pulse width limiter

This is part of an interlock to protect your T-line xfrmr. Don't call it a pulse width limiter.

Re: pulse width limiter
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 16:22:58 -0700 (PDT),

If you ever designed anything, you could call it whatever you please.