pulse width limiter

An ideal pulse-width limiter has zero rising-edge delay, programmable width, and zero recovery time. This isn't too bad:

The first gate is acting like a line receiver, so doesn't count against my prop delay; so delay = 1 ns.

Recovery time should be pretty good, under 10 ns maybe. If I tease the exponential a bit, I could reduce the cap and improve recovery.

 Click to see the full signature

Hmm, two gate delays? I guess you're discounting the first one, fair enough.

Could use a diode gate, or a series resistor and a somewhat beefier transistor, to shunt the input after the delay.

To do any less than what you've shown, you've got to incur some sort of quirkiness, such as sensitivity to load, which the above strategy will have. (Hopefully, the diode gate or resistor feeds a minimal load, like a single logic pin and no trace length.) The sensitivity could be further worsened\\\\optimized by adding a peaking coil or two...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature

OK, does the circle on the fet input mean an inverter? So the fet is normally on, closed, then open when the pulse comes?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A series L in the discharge path would help, make the discharge critically damped instead of exponential. I'll probably have 30 or 40 ns minimum low time, so may not benefit from an L just now.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

That NC7 analog switch (actually sold as a bus switch) is active-low-on. It's a dual, so I may as well use both sections in parallel to discharge my cap.

Oh, the part number is typo'd. It should be NC7WB3306.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Feed an open transmission line for fixed time period, trombone assembly for adjustable..

Reply to
Robert Baer

If I use both switch sections in parallel, that's below 2 ohms discharge resistance. The critical inductor value would be a couple of nH, and I probably have that just in wirebonds and strays. It will probably ring on the discharge with no added L.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Not in roughly 1/4 of a square inch.

And something would have to discharge that line, no?

 Click to see the full signature

PW_Lim_1.JPG

You haven't really explained anything about your application. It seems like you're making (almost) a low-prop-time programmable one-shot. Are there any of those that might work?

-F

Reply to
Frank Miles

It's not a one-shot, it's a pulse width limiter. I'm ultimately going to drive a transmission-line transformer, and I don't want the user's input pulses to be allowed to be wide enough to saturate the core.

Narrow pulses pass right through with 2 ns delay. Longer pulses get truncated to a programmable width.

 Click to see the full signature

This is part of an interlock to protect your T-line xfrmr. Don't call it a pulse width limiter.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

If you ever designed anything, you could call it whatever you please.

 Click to see the full signature

Ah, Thanks I had the same question.

I wish more people would post circuit questions.

I've been thinking about measuring heat capacity. Maybe a FET to give a heat pulse and then measure temperature change. (with the body diode) Sample attached to the fet and some thermally 'driven shield' around the sample space. A pulse and response system.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Drive it with a CCS, or current limiting resistor.

Let the user saturate it, it's their signal to screw up. Ferrite doesn't burn. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Oh, the supply will be current limited, voltage and current limit programmable by more DACs. But I don't want ugly pulses.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I suppose that most people have, or think they have, personal or business reasons why they can't show their work. Or don't design circuits at all.

I've pulsed one transistor of a dual, and used the other to measure temperature vs time. That's sort of fun. The temperature measurement is continuous, not time-shared with the heating pulse.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Yeah, or they don't want to appear like an idiot. (which never stops me.)

Right a dual might be better. I think I saw Fets that had a built in diode for temperature sensing. I should look at those.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I have seen this phenomenon with several times with communications protocols.

Some companies demand NDAs to get access to their protocol specifications.While in some cases, this might be a commercial interest of keeping competitors out of their product family, but in many cases, their protocol specification is so dumb that detecting bad specification only takes 5 minutes.

It is understandable that the companies try to hide such embarrassing protocol specifications or device designs :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

They probably think it's great.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

That's good if you want to probe a noisy system, because you can send a large number of pulses in, and sum all the noisy responses in memory. There's a lovely system called a 'hammer seismometer' that uses some percussor (anything from a sledge hammer up to a one-piston internal combustion gizmo) and a triggered receiver. Signal averaging and patience go in, rewarding data comes out.

Reply to
whit3rd