Puerto Rico electric grid status:

Jim Thompson wrote on 10/28/2017 4:44 PM:

Maybe we should do something to help reduce the occurrence of massive hurricanes? I can't imagine what that could be... can you?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

The entire MSM, though they're fond of creating stories out of whole cloth, too.

Reply to
krw

He wasn't MY president.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

*YUGE* windmill? Strategically place H-Bombs? Waynack machines? More taxes? Yeah, that's it!
Reply to
krw

That doesn't mean he doesn't count. I think that means you didn't count.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

No category 5 hurricanes hit the USA for over ten years. And the CO2 PPM

ratio was rising. So, perhaps we need to burn MORE coal!

I don't actually believe this, coal is nasty polluting after all, just making the point that people forget that there were plenty of hurricanes

in the past.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

:

rote:

ng

of

er

Well, so are Clinton, the two Bushs, and Carter. I think his point was more pointed though.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Of course, you're forgetting Trump in your list of living Presidents. OTOH, if PR doesn't become a state (and it won't) the only President (to this point) who would break the chain would be Obummer. The others were all born before HI and AK were admitted.

Reply to
krw

:

rote:

ng

of

er

But they were born before 1959. That would make a difference.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

You are aware that Puerto Rico is part of the US?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Since there were people who didn't lose power, it's odd that the numbers match. Isn't it?

Does the DoE report include all the large, tractor trailer sized portable generators that were being deployed to hospitals, and other important locations?

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

I'm still here. :)

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Assuming you are a US citizen, he was your president.

You may not have liked it, but he was your president.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Good. Now go and tell that to all the anti-Trump folks.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

What on earth makes you think they don't already know it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

From all them folks that have been screaming "he's not my president" from day one. Duh.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I know you have restless leg syndrome but how did you jump to the conclusion that he thought otherwise? Oh, that's right, you're a lefty. Logic is a foreign concept.

Reply to
krw

Percentage of "normal peak load" is not the same as percentage of customers without power. However, there's a problem with the DoE estimates.

Let's pretend that there were exactly two customers in Puerto Rico who lost power. One customer is a big industrial concern that normally consumes 99% of the islands generated power. The other customer is a small residence that normally consumes the remaining 1% of the power. If the small customer had their power restored, the headlines should read: 50% of the customers had their power restored and 1% of the peak load was restored. Counting customers and kilowatt-hrs are quite different. The chances of the numbers being the same (100% - 73.8% = 26.2%) for number of customers, and 26.2% of the normal peak load to 3 significant figures is rather small.

However, that's not how the DoE conjured their estimates. Quoting the report: "Note: Estimate number of customers without power is based on percent of average peak load restored." So, in the eyes of the DoE, every customer uses the same amount of power. Sigh.

I guess I was right. The DoE is somewhat better than the news media only because the media believes the DoE numbers. Also, I missed this not so trivial detail the first 2 times I read the situation report.

I don't think so. What they're doing is assuming that everyone will be drawing the same amount of (normal) peak power as they did before the hurricane. Near as I can guess(tm), they simply measure the peak load and divide it by the pre-hurricane normal load to get the percentage of power restored. They then take that percentage and multiply it by the number of paying customers, to get the number of customers restored. Obviously, the two percentages will be equal. There's no room for generators and alternative energy when they do it that way.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Please forgive my hair splitting, but as an unincorporated territory, Puerto Rico is NOT a part of the US:

"Puerto Rico (Spanish for "Rich Port"), officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Spanish: Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico, lit. "Free Associated State of Puerto Rico") is an unincorporated territory of the United States"

"Under United States law, an unincorporated territory is an area controlled by the United States government which is not part of (i.e., "incorporated" in) the United States. In unincorporated territories, the U.S. Constitution applies only partially."

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hair splitting indeed. Wikipedia is not the final arbitrator. The people of Puerto Rico are US citizens. It's part of the US.

BTW, which parts of the US Constitution don't apply? 1st amendment, 2nd amendment, 18th amendment, the 21st amendment?