Puerto Rico electric grid status:

Looks like PR gets a nice new grid !

Reply to
boB

It also looks like the media was lying about only 9% of the island having power.

Did you see that the power plants are on one end of the island, and most of the people live at the other end? Talk about bad planning.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

The NIMBY effect.

Seems that PR has more than their fair share of crooked politicians... note the ridiculously high debt. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

The report said 20% now. So, it could be that it was 9% at the peak of blackout, and the media like to report the lowest number possible. Well, it's not lying. It's selective reporting.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Good thing (for them) they didn't waste any money building it properly on their dime in the first place.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Who does that remind you of?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I heard it reported as still at 9% while I was looking at that webpage.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

All Liberal fools. The same ones who demanded that the US Navy close their base. The same ones that know that Statehood would force them to do more for themselves.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

You mean like having most of the oil refining for the US in Texas and Louisiana in the path of major hurricanes? Yes, that is very stupid. We need to move all the oil refining to the midwest or better yet, Nebraska. Tornadoes tend to hit more localized areas.

"As of last Friday, about 21.6 percent of the island had power, Semonite said."

Since the article has been online for a few days, I assume "last Friday" was a week ago.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Hey Mike, Nice to see you still here. I've been on "walkabout" the last couple years - very sporadic posting here. Hope all is well, etc...

Anyway - I wanted to add something I either heard or read that sort of touches on this Puerto Rico thing:

As I understand it, no US President has ever died with the same number of States that were present when he was born.

If Puerto Rico becomes a State, that trend will continue.

Reply to
mpm

Looks like about 20% from the graph.

Maria"

However, the Dept of Energy says 26.2% without power. See:

DoE "Hurricanes Nate, Maria, Irma, and Harvey Situation Reports" Scroll down for the latest report on Maria (Puerto Rico). This is the Oct 26 report: "As of 11:00 AM EDT, October 26, Puerto Rico reported that restored load was 26.2% of normal peak load (approximately 704 MW of 2,685 MW normal peak load). As of 11:00 AM EDT, October 26, DOE estimates nearly 1.59 million customers (73.8%) remain without power on Puerto Rico.

Hint: If possible, try to go to the source and NOT the recycled and processed versions delivered by the various news sources.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Not necessary. The last state admitted was in 1959.

The last presidents were born in 1946.

Obama was born in 1961, but he doesn't count.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

That doesn't make sense. Oil and gas users are nowhere near Nebraska. Don't have to move too far. Just to Arizona, where end of the pipe-line is. As long as voices in AZ does not complaint about serving the west coast.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

WHICH pipeline? There are thousands of them.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Hint: The DOE is not the ones doing the actual work.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Close. The DoE doesn't do any work on getting the Puerto Rico electrical grid back online. However, it does do a splendid job of collecting statistics, making pretty graphs, writing status reports, issuing press releases, providing talking heads, and making predictions. Since the numbers are supplied the various utilities, there will be the expected distortions and creativity, but that can't be helped. No mattery how awful the news media is at reporting anything technical, the DoE is generally less awful. Notice in the above quotation, the percentage of the peak load restored and the percentage of customers with power (26.2%) are identical. Either that's a truly amazing coincidence, everyone in Puerto Rico uses exactly the same amount of power, or someone totally screwed up the numbers.

Perhaps Puerto Rico should run the power lines at ground level until the poles can be installed?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann
[snip]

Not so easy for grid-level HV power distribution, but has generally been mandated for local distribution here in AZ for at least 40 years (in most incorporated areas). ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | CNN is a mouthpiece for the DNC. Goebbels would be proud.

te:

He was your president for two terms. Under what logic can you say he doesn't count?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

te:

He is still alive. So, the statement is still correct, technically.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee