PSPICE, Demo version, Model editor won't "Export to Capture Library"

Hello,

I've been playing with Orcad PSPICE (DEMO version) this past week.

I'm trying to make a model of an inductor which saturates with current. I'm planning on using the LBREAK part and feed it some linear/quadratic coeffients. However, the Model Editor doesn't seem to let me "Export to Capture" so I can't make a symbol?

The readme.html that comes with the Demo version says "You cannot create parts with more than 14 pins." Hence, I assume I should be able to create this 2 pin part.

The File|Export_to_Capture_Part_Library pulldown is always greyed out. As is the Tools|Options|Schamatic_Editor|Capture radio button.

Perhaps the PSPICE Demo Model Editor -CAN- make parts for Schematics, but not makes parts for Capture?

Am I making yet another newby errer? I've googled the web and searched the (rather skimpy) Orcad forum.

thanks

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

The demo of SuperSpice alows for far more then PSpice (up to 750 parts). The full version is also an order of magnitude cheaper.

Secondly, SuperSpice already has proper built in non-linear hysteretic cores that are specified by just 3 parameters. I pinched the idea from that other well known freebee spice from Linear Technology, which pinched it from elsewhere.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

"Parts", be they in Capture OR Schematics, are just SYMBOLS. They must be linked to a model/subcircuit declaration (in a .LIB or .INC file) that provides the math.

Provide a step-by-step description and I'll try to replicate it here on my system (full PSpice v10.3 using Schematics, but I also have Capture).

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson said

Considering your subtle dislike for capture.... I am very appreciative. ;-)

My troubles are best exemplified by attempting to import a vendors model and subsequently create a part (or symbol) in for Capture.

Let pretend I have the following vendor model on my desktop. It's stored in a file called "D14148x.lib".

****** .model D1N4148x D(Is=2.682n N=1.836 Rs=.5664 Ikf=44.17m Xti=3
  • Eg=1.11 Cjo=4p M=.3333 Vj=.5 Fc=.5 Isr=1.565n Nr=2 Bv=100
  • Ibv=100u Tt=11.54n)
******

OK, from pg 166 of my PSPICE Users Guide:

Importing an existing model

You can import third-party or vendor-provided Spice models into a format understood by the Model Editor. Importing a model enables editing the model using the Model Editor user interface. 1 Open the Model Editor. 2 Open a model library. From the File menu, choose New or Open. {I'll choose NEW since I want to import it, see next step) 3 From the Model menu, choose Import. 4 Select the file containing the model definition and select Open. [I rifle down to the desktop until I select 'D14148x.lib'.]

Ok, now the manual discusses "Enabling and disabling automatic parts creation." It states I must enable this feature to create the part. -- This is where the trouble starts.--- It instructs me to do a TOOLS|OPTIONS and set my schematic editor to CAPTURE. When I do this the radio buttons Concept HDL and Capture are grayed out. The only option is Schematics. Hence, I figure the model editor in the Demo version cannot create models for Capture.

Thanks for attempting this. Sorry it's so long.

Regards,

HS

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Kevin Aylward said

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have a full version of PSPICE at work (networked license) and a Demo version at home. My goal is to better utilize my full version at work. Hence my desire to stay with the Demo version at home. Regards,

HS

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Do I understand this correctly, your employer gives you a version of Spice you can ONLY use at work, thereby preventing you from giving him some some quality work time from home, if you so choose? Or I wonder, has he carelessly chosen a Spice software vendor who locked him into such a stupid situation? Shame on him, shame on them.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Carry the dongle with you, or ask for an "Install" license.

For a long time I used a license keyed to the network card, making it easily mobile.

...Jim Thompson

Winfield Hill said

I'm unsure the rational for not providing a PSPICE "license borrow" capability. I'd like to say it's because their preferred simulation package is Saber.... but they only provide a network license for that too.

On the other hand, they worked a deal with MS to provide home license version of MS Office. You see, Powerpoint presentations are critical.

;-)

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

I was lucky enough to keep one of the Printer port dongles after we went to the License Server for PSpice where I worked.

The rest of the Engineers then had to spend a lot more time at work. No, remote access to the computers wasn't available though I believe a couple of Engineers rigged something up with modems.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Robert said

I know an engineer with a dongle for an old DOS PSPICE program. Any chance this dongle would work with PSPICE 10?

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

It would if you updated the License from Microsim/Orcad/Cadence/Whoever_Today.

It was the combination of the software on the computer (with the correct key from above) and the dongle that matched that on the port.

But IIRC they changed Dongle types when they went to Windows so I'm not even sure if you *could* get a License update from Whoever.

They has us send in old Dongles when it happened for new ones.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

oh...you want you use you own personal time to do unpaid training for your employer. And this is a good idea?

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward said

Yes, it's a great idea. Personal development is always a good idea. Getting someone else to pay for it is an occasional bonus, but not a requirement. I am ultimately responsible for the maintenance of my technical skills.

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Robert said

I think I'll have to try out my friends dongle. {I can't believe I just said that. ;-) }

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Jim Thompson said

I'll query the IT dept today. I don't think they negotiated this ability, but I should certainly ask.

thx

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Release 10 and above are either network only, or use an install code, no dongles (except network based ones...)

And, the demo Model Editor was only for diodes pretty much.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Take a look at Tools/Options and see what library is being used to base parts on. It should be a file named modeled.etc. Also check the other options listed there.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Jim Thompson said

Jim,

I tried creating a model with the Model Editor on my full version of PSPICE. Indeed, it works -differently- than the Model Editor in the Demo version. It appears the Model Editor in the Demo version -cannot- create models for Capture. I suppose it can create models for Schematics..... but I have not used Schematics..... so not sure.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Also, just got my "Semiconductor Device Modeling with Spice", Antognetti and Massobrio book today. Great book!

Regards,

HS

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Charlie Edmondson said

It's pointing to modeled.slb now. Oddly enough, that file doesn't even exist. When I re-point it to modeled.etc, there is no effect. The Tools|Options|Schematic_Editor field has only one valid selection. It is Schematics. The other two are grayed out. I think the other two are 'features' disabled in the Demo version.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Homer.Simpson said

Oh, one more thing. The default FileType for this field is ".slb". .etc is not even an option.

A little googleing tell me this:

".slb file(s) providing symbols for the models required by the graphic user interface (GUI) ?Schematics?."

This is pretty damning. By default, the Model Editor in the PSPICE Demo version, is partial to "Schematics". Hmmm.....

Reply to
Homer.Simpson