Proposal: 1 year killfile of everyone who has asked for a solutions manual

I've been quietly watching from the sidelines the continual stream of people begging for a solutions manual for their textbooks this year, in sci.math and the other newsgroups I've posted this to. This year there have been about 2000 postings in the last 2.5 months begging to buy the homework answers just in the four newsgroups that I have posted to. I do realize once one kid posts that ten others see this and think "what a great idea, why don't I buy my homework answers too?"

I've resisted doing this for a while but finally enough is enough.

I propose we collectively killfile the name of everyone who has asked and will ask for solutions manuals for the next year, in all newsgroups. You know if they are begging for the solutions manual and they don't get it they will be back begging for someone to do their homework for them next week.

My killfile already has a lot of these names and if anyone wants a list to add to their killfile I will happily spend the time to go back through old postings and carefully confirm the names and send you a list so that you can drop them into your killfile too. If enough of us killfile them they become unpersons.

I have considered this and think I realize the limitations and consequences.

gmail.com (address is valid)

Reply to
dontdont

I suppose the instructors have a good excuse for not making up their own problems.

John

I don't think it necessarily makes sense to have instructors make up their own exercise problems, new every year (which would be necessary) rather than using the ones in a textbook. Realistically there's no good reason to have homework exercises count towards the student's grade anyway... except perhaps as some token amount (e.g., 10%) in a sort of an in loco parentis way so generally good students don't just completely blow them off. I had some college classes this way, and it worked well... the course grade was something like 3 exams at

30% each and 10% homework. (Although I also had some classes that were 2 exams at 40% each and 20% homework, and there was sometimes a complaint that it was very difficult to "recover" from doing poorly on one exam.)

Obviously exams should be newly constructed every year by professors (and old ones made available for studying from).

Professors are just like everyone else -- some are rather lazy, and slack if they don't think there aren't any repercussions. It's hard for professors to get decent evaluations anyway -- most students will rate a professor who gave very easy exams much higher than one who has a good teacher, entirely fair, but required siginificantly more work from the students.

If you think some of your old professors might still be teaching, check out ratemyprofessors.com some time and see if you agree with the general consensus.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Have not seen much of that here.

I have seen specific queries about specific homework problems.

I have mixed emotions about this. If it is one or two tough-nut problems from one or several posters, I am not much worried. If it is repetitive behavior, I am worried that some little turd is getting a degree via vampire approaches.

To ask for the entire solutions manual for an entire course or textbook, is vampire all the way.

Reply to
Charles

But there's something important relating to this issue that I think you _don't_ realize.

The current theory is that most of the requests for solution manuals are bogus, thus making your killfile concept meaningless. The fake requests are posted by the sellers to make would-be purchasers feel comfortable (i.e. -- everybody else is doing it, so why not).

Your idea that these "requestors" will come back to ask actual questions simply isn't born out by the data.

Better to filter the posts based on subject lines and/or contents, or else simply delete such posts quickly as soon as you recognize them as solutions manual related.

quasi

Reply to
quasi

I'll also point out that those who already filter out subject lines containing the phrase "solutions manual" won't even see this thread.

quasi

Reply to
quasi

"One little turd" isn't even close. There's lots of them out there.

Easy to test for though, at the interview point, you can ask them to look at one of your schematics they might be working on (of which they of course WON'T have the answers to!).

If they know enough, they'll at least fuddle their way through. If not, they'll flop.

You'll have your answer in 10 seconds.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Top posting, Usenet retard!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

But it wasn't a _response_. It was a re-presentation. The only new content was the _introduction_ to what followed. Introductions come *before* the thing they introduce.

Soon we'll have you counting on both hands, hopefully.

Phil

--
Dear aunt, let\'s set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

I kinda like what they do over in comp.arch. They answer obvious homework questions with funny, plausible, and wrong answers. It's good for a laugh and if the poser is as dumb as they usually sound, will get a second laugh later. The only problem is that the C.A crowd doesn't get to be in on the last laugh.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Haha -- good one.