Project suggestion - speaker

Hi to all.

I'm building one raspberry pa based system that should be used as doorbell. The problem is that i need to implement some really small pcb speaker that i can use for voice transfer from inner to outer unit.

The comm part is done but now I am stuck with this. If i use some USB based speaker ( better option ) i can not find any so small. If i use some active standard speaker that i can hook up to RSP audio input, but all of them are passive ones. Just standard passive buzzers/speakers. I didnt find any small active pcb speaker.

I dont need some super audio quality, but i would like to have some "normal" voice audio.

Regards !

GM

Reply to
gm

The problems are:

  1. using a pi as a doorbell
  2. Looking for a component that doesn't exist.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

*From a #2 killer:

There are a fair number of small transducers that can be driven directly. Here are some SMT 500 ohm transducers via Mouser: CD-1206-SMT by CUI, the TE092603-1 by DB Unlimited, and the SMT-1220-TW-R by PUI Audio.

If you allow PTH parts, there are a LOT more.

Reply to
Robert Baer

magnetic bleepers & piezos can. They won't get you acceptable audio though.

5v 40mA I make that 125 ohms. It won't of course get you 'normal voice audio.' It looks more like a narrow bandwidth resonant bleeper. Mobile phones use voice grade small speakers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

******************** :-). The reason why i want to use pi as doorbell is because i will transfer alarm, video and some other stuff in the future, so this is better option...

Audio: I was planning to use some simple audio amplifier + some small transducer , but if you say that there is a way to drive this directly, then that is far better solution.

This is the amplifier that i was planning to use:

LM386 should be used instead because i can get max 5V from PI. PI is known for bad audio HW so i think that without some amplifier and some filters we have a big problem

GM

Reply to
gm

t.

so

Is it? With direct drive you're typically limited to high impedance and tin y power.

Look at the LM386's app notes in data sheet. IIRC it can be used with less parts.

Unless you use at least a 2" speaker you're not likely to get passable audi o. And even 2" won't sound at all good. AFAIK 2" plus speakers only come i n mc format and piezo tweeters, so really you need an amplifier. A 386 woul d do, so might a complimentary pair and the odd resistor. BUt don't expect any fi with 2".

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Apple has done it with their iPhone. The settable alarm is ear-deafening when it goes off.

Reply to
John S