Problems with this stepper motor

Hi to all, i've tried to pilotate this stepper motor (V5 version)

with this board

I've setted a very low current (from 0 to 255 i've setted 1), but stepper motor became very hot without any motion command?Why?

If consider 4A as peak current =>4/255=15mA. This current should be very low respect maximum motor current (80mA)...what's wrong?

Thanks

Reply to
fasf

Have you measured the motor current with a sense resistor or at the drive board's current test point (there should be one)? As you wrote, the current is supposed to be 80mA (RMS). I believe that this drive is a chopper output. What is the chopping frequency? If possible try to bring the chopping frequency lower (15-20KHz). Many step motors - particularly the 'tin can' motors have lousy eddy current and hysteresis losses with result in high heat. If this is the problem, you might consider also switching the current to a lower value when motor is stopped. FYI that motor is made by Faulhaber in Germany. We buy something similar from MicroMo, the USA arm of Faulhaber.

Reply to
Oppie

If the motor's getting very hot then its getting too much current. There's really no ifs or buts about that.

NT

Reply to
Tabby