Problem with pad holes in CircuitMaker 2000

Few, if any, here seem to be using CircuitMaker 2000 for PCB layouts. I do and have one problem with it. I can specify any hole size to any solder pad - standalone, in an existing footprint or one I've just created. But when I print it out, all pads have the same hole size specified in the print dialog. That is, the print ignores any hole size specified for individual pads. And that's the crux of the problem.

This is no problem with through-hole components but does create a problem with SMD parts. It often prints holes in the middle of a track.

The software treats solder pads as a special element stored in a separate library. The first pad is automatically assigned as the handling point of a component footprint. I can create footprints without any pad and simply include copper tracks on the footprint for soldering. No unwanted holes then.

But then the software automatically assigns the handling point to a corner of the footprint and this is often inconvenient when snapping a component to a grid.

With an all-SMD one-side-only design, I can avoid any awkward holes by simply specifying the pad hole size as zero. But that leaves me without guide holes for TH parts, vias, mounting holes and connecting wires.

Is anyone using CM2000 at all? Do you have a solution to the problem?

Reply to
Pimpom

I don't use CircuitMaker..............

The older protel packages 98, 99SE worked the same way. It would print a 'pilot' hole marking where holes were, even when the 'print final artwork' option was selected.

I actually found it useful as it put a small hole in the copper suitable for accurately positioning an 0.8mm pilot hole.

I never have problems with holes in pads if the hole size is set = 0.

Reply to
Trumble

Agreed that the pilot hole is very useful for through-hole components. The problem is with SMDs.

To reiterate: I can create footprints without pads by including tracks in the footprint for soldering. But then the software doesn't let me pick the handling point and instead uses one corner of the footprint. This often interferes with snapping it to the desired location on a grid.

The software uses the first pad as the handling point. The pad can even be of zero size. But it always prints the same pilot hole size as in all other pads.

For example, when I create the footprint of a 0805 resistor, I include a tiny pad in the center to serve as the reference or pickup point. If I have a 15-mil track running under the resistor and print the layout with a guide hole of 20mil, it breaks the track completely.

Reply to
Pimpom

No idea about your package, but on Protel, I can specify where the 'pick up' reference point is:- Either the centre of 'pad 1, OR user defined. Do you have that option in CM 2000 ? Why not a guide hole of 1 mil then ?

TTman

No, I've been using this software for a long time and have become quite adept at using it. If it had such a feature, I'm sure I'd have found it long ago.

It may not be in the same class as Protel and those other big names but it's good enough for me. 32-inch board size and more layers than I'll ever need. Quite stable from Win98 to 8.1 (haven't tried it with 10). I immediately liked it from the beginning. It's intuitive and learning to use it was easy. I tried Protel at about the same time and preferred CM2000.

I'm afraid a 1-mil guide hole wouldn't be much of a guide for a home-brew pcb and would easily be smudged out in processing.

Reply to
Pimpom

Ahhh you didn't say it was a home brew PCB.... There's a myriad of China companies offering prototype PCBs for a few $$ What on earth are you doing making your own PCBs in this day and age ?? PS My protel dates back to the win 98 days too. It's not the multi billion dollar current version :)

TTman

Weell, for one thing, I enjoy making my own PCBs especially the simple one-off boards with a couple of dozen or so components. I make those all the time although I do outsource some of the more complex ones.

These days I usually let an assistant do most of the cutting, etching and drilling. Besides, I live in such a place that the normal turnaround time for anything from outside is a month or more.

Reply to
Pimpom