probe slip

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sewing needles?

Not likely. Use a crimp.

Not likely Johnny. You have material science issues as well, I see.

Brass needles for sewing? You're hilarious.

Maybe if they existed at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We have Tek probes that were $2500.

One has to have what one needs to get the job done.

In your case, the missing part would be between your ears.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Amazon has lots of them. Look it up. Many are gold plated; they might solder. Nickel doesn't solder, but ENIG sure does.

Just asking. You learn things by asking. I don't sew myself.

We used to use plastic knitting needles to poke around in matts of wire-wrap.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah, they look good. I ordered an assortment from Amazon.

Maybe the shank could plug into a pin socket too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Pogo pins are great. I soldered some onto copper clad and then a translation stage (up/down). poor man's probe station.

There are all sorts of ends to choose from.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Did you use a SS flux?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Mar 29, 2019, John Larkin wrote (in article):

I use these all the time to probe PCBs. They are Fluke and slip on standard DMM probe tips. You could cut them as short as you want and sharpen as required.

Spare Change

On Mar 30, 2019, Spare Change wrote (in article):

More-commonly referred to as Fluke TP88:

Spare Change

Acid flux, like for stainless steel, works fine for soft-solder on nickel. Traditional sewing needles, while they can corrode, don't give the pale-blue-green color of nickel when they do so: I'm thinking they're steel.

Reply to
whit3rd

Why the sky-high price tag?

Cursitor Doom

On Mar 30, 2019, John Larkin wrote (in article):

coating off and solder to the steel.

Pins used to hold the fabric in position are often plated brass. Needles (that penetrate fabric and pull thread through) are generally tempered steel. Chrome can be soft soldered using stainless steel flux. Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

.

lue-green

usually hardened chrome plated steel

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I make my own 6 GHz, 250 fF scope probes for a few dollars each. Free, actually, since I got the parts as samples from a friend. Maybe I'll solder some sewing needles onto the tips.

lunatic fringe electronics

Dunno. Even off-brand-name fet probes are expensive. The ones from the scope makers are a lot more.

I want to go into the probe business some day, if things calm down a little.

lunatic fringe electronics

Steel solders. I can dremel off the chrome.

lunatic fringe electronics

Find a meter probe about half the length of a needle, then find some heat shrink tubing that just barely goes over the probe tip. Lay the needle and probe side by side with the head of the needle against the end of the probe housing, slip the heat shrink over both, and shrink. Trim the tubing end flush with the end of the needle. Should give a good mechanical connection without the hassle of soldering, supporting the end of the needle against the probe housing means you can press the needle tip into whatever you are probing without the needle shifting, and you can probably twist and pull and gently get the probe out of the heat shrink if you need to use it as a full-sized probe, then just slide it back in to use the needle tip. If it gets loose after a few cycles just heat the tubing again.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

In what circumstances do you use such a probe?

Cursitor Doom

John sent me some of these and they work pretty well. Very non slip.

I think there was a way to buy them ready made - you could find him via this link:

MK

https://www.avg.com
Reply to
Michael Kellett

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q7ov0u$5j1$1@dont- email.me:

Dude... that is cheap. You do know what an FET probe is, right?

Unlike audiophool products, these actually do have a lot of engineering instilled into them.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

Naaah... Steel pins and needles have been the standard for many many decades. Chrome plating a needle or a pin? Come on guys, use some common sense.

Even the ones that have gold electroplate on the ends is an extra process. A process that requires electrical attachement of the other end of the needle, because electroplating requires that. Chrome plating free, loose pins? What is the efficient process for that?