Proadlizer

Proadlizer - what's not to like?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

The footprint. It really requires buried vias, and even then supply path lengths will be longer than that obtained with discrete caps.

Reply to
JM

Googling Proadlizer, I see that Digikey shows them as obsolete, ebay has prices from $1 to $12 each, and there are tons of posts about them failing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

$1, yes.

Whoa!!

The datasheet shows a very low voltage rating, 2.0 or 2.5 volts, and high capacitance, 1000uF up. But large with an awkward size, 14x16mm. Wondering where to use them, maybe under a microprocessor?

The impedance characteristics look impressive.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Sony used them on the Playstation 3 I think. Maybe PS4 has them too, I don't know.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

They would be good under a uP or an FPGA. The connections look pretty low-inductance.

Not to start yet another bypassing thread, I use a few 1u 0603 caps per FPGA power rail, on the top side a modest distance from the chip for ball inspectibility. Seems to work.

Goofy name. Sounds like some health-food juicer.

I haven't seen any serious data sheets for these things, mostly promotional blurbs.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Back when I first saw 'em (on a PlayStation teardown), I looked 'em up and found a useful datasheet. Seems to be distributed polymer caps (aluminum or tant, take your pick?), so that the filtering is quite good, and impedance quite low. The very wide pads go hand-in-hand with that.

Can't argue with the juicer thought.

Not to continue yet another bypassing thread, but those X2Y caps (by Johanson) have similar marketing about them. Their appnote reads as if it's a panacea (showing real reduction in FPGA jitter); what they don't tell you is how much poking they had to go through, to get there. Likely they would've achieved the same results, using the same number of conventional (0603, or even 0306 for that matter) caps, in optimally-selected locations.

But for everyone who doesn't have time, there's the shotgun approach.

Or as you've been promoting over the last however many years, the "lean shotgun" approach: route all the supplies with planes, and keep cranking down the bypass cap BOM count...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

I've used the 0306 caps, as AC couplers and bypasses in picosecond stuff. They worked fine, but I can't prove that 0603 caps would be any worse.

Most people bypass too much. I saw one board, used in an Anritsu DRAM tester, that had over 3K bypass caps.

Live dangerously!

lunatic fringe electronics