Prices from online component stores

or

Not really, $15 for 5000. Although we can get it for $5 somewhere.

-ND

Just cost of doing business, in general.

Reply to
linnix

Why are some prices of some components outrages. I regularly see prices for things that are 100 times or more than their normal value. 15$ for a 1$ switch, 30$ for a small 0805 1k ohm resistor, etc... about half the components generally are drastically overpriced.

I assume it is due to some automated price determine algorithm? (as the prices tend to be larger when out of stock)

But surely they also do this intentionally to increase profit margins? I'm sure they could include in the algorithm some error control to prevent extreme cases(which I come across all the time when I'm scanning for parts).

I'm sure I don't need to show proof but

|0

15$ for a 1$ switch. It's bad enough that many components are overpriced but sometimes it's hard to tell if they are screwing you such as the first switch which is 2.26$. It seems a bit high but OTH you expect it to be higher in small quantities. The switch itself probably costs less than 0.2$ to make.

Even in "medium" quantities some of these components still seem quite expensive.

I'm just curious if this is "capitalism" at it's best or some strange quirk of a computer algorithm?

Reply to
Stretto

Do not have time to go through 2551 items.

Do not see this price.

Smaller in what? 0805 is 0805 size.

e and

I only see 1 to 4 cents range.

Reply to
linnix

Compare the specs. A high precision low temp co. resistor can be very expensive. I always search by value & case style and then sort by price (low to high).

And yes there are errors in databases. Sometimes exactly the same component is listed under two different numbers (yes, in the same packaging).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Not really, $15 for 5000. Although we can get it for $5 somewhere.

Just cost of doing business, in general.

------------------

No, sorry. Mouser only gives unit prices.

|1

2.70$ for a 200ohm 10% resistor. The lowest price in the same category is 0.04$. over 50 times smaller. Both are unit price. Of course the high priced one does drop down to 0.15$ for reel of 5k but that?s stull 3 times more and 30 times the price for 5k reels.
Reply to
Stretto

|1

It is not a stocked item. You want one anyway, you pay the price to get it.

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

$

..

1

t.

When I click on that link, i get 2551 thick film resistors listed. Are you guys getting a different result? Anyway, who in his right mind would buy one smd resistor?

Reply to
linnix

Well, I think that was the problem. He did not see the fact that those were not stocked. The .04 and .15 resistors were stocked. He's not reading everything on the page.

Reply to
John KD5YI

$15 is 100 * $1?

Example?

Then they won't sell it, right?

Because they don't just order one 0805 resistor. They'll order a reel and send you one, not to mention the cost of counting one off the reel and the packaging that goes with it. Anyone who buys resistors onesy-twosy deserves to pay 100x.

$2.26 for one, $1.56 (each) for 100. You think that's outrageous?

Probably not, but that's irrelevant.

So don't buy them. That's how I handle things, even with other people's money. Pretty simple, really.

I suppose capitalism does cause some to whine.

Reply to
krw

When I want something but I'm not set on a particular part from the get-go, I get into the correct general class and then sort on number in stock as one of the ways of finding suitable parts (if the data sheet looks like it will work) at a reasonable price. Sorting on price is also helpful if you first eliminate parts not in stock.

Ecnerwal

General who??

Reply to
Robert Baer

--

Wrong. Do you even check for parts yourself? or maybe this is a mouser
issue?

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Transistors/Transistors-General-Purpose/MOSFET-Power/_/N-7h6e2?P=1z0y25u&Ns=Pricing|0

67$ for a quad mosfet 0.53A 30V. 24 in stock. You can find the same in a
discrete package for 100 times cheaper.

If you did any searching on mouser at all you would see these pop up all the
time.
Reply to
Stretto

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that very few of the quad FETs are used?

You have *way* too much time on your hands.

Reply to
krw