predicting the future is hard

"No part of the country is favored to have below-average temperatures, according to NOAA."

We want our warmer-than-normal! It's sleeting in SF and may snow tonight.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

You will most likely get it. Average temperatures are averaged over a year, even if this is way long than your attention span.

One bit of the climate that is predictable is that it is in - on average - warmer in summer than in winter, so it does make sense to average over a whole year, even if your extremities are feeling chilly right now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ski-resorts-close/

Yup, that's a "mild winter" for you. What did you expect from weather pre dictions much less "climate scientists"?

Predicting the future is easy; getting it right is hard. Unless you obser ve the ast and extrapolate *reasonably* into the future.

For example, when the "polar vortex" neuters the brass monkeys on the Eas t Coast and in the Midwest, it's relatively warm in the West. A week or so later the situation reverses. Here a couple states North of you we just got our first snow of the season, right on schedule.

This is not a new phenomenon- it just has a new name.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Winter isn't this week, it's months long. It WAS a milld winter, and despite a cold snap, might still be.

Snow, though, is fun.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sunday was beautiful here, mid 50's (F) and sunny. The creek was still frozen from the 'polar vortex' and we (me and the dogs) went down it. Yesterday the creek was raging like it was spring. Globar warming should mean more mixing/ fluctuations/ extremes. Looking at the noise in temperature data would be interesting.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

After considering the NOAA-based warning to not buy a season pass to a ski area, I got two.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Switch to plan B, after the blizzard ends, you can take a few days off and enjoy some marvelous skiing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Right.

I was considering setting up a small electronics workbench/lab in the cabin, so I can justify more time up there, but that seems like a big deal. In addition to the usual scope/dvm/cables/soldering stuff, I'd need a Mantis and a giant supply of parts.

There is no US mail service there, but UPS and FedEx will deliver. I guess I could have stuff overnighted.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

That's one large advantage of working in software. Everything is instant delivery.

Rick C.

- Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit