Pravda = Truth

John

This one is even more far fetched. Billions of watts on a table-top. Probably in a nanosecond pulse.

TheM

Oh dear now they have the 'read your mind' chip. Oh well it wont take long for mine :-)

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I am very surprised to see John Larkin's interest to the central newspaper of the communist party of the USSR. I can only congratulate the bolshevik comrades with the great proliferation.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

He should be careful Jim doesn't report him to the FBI.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I'm interested in all sorts of things. I worked in Moscow for a while and still have Russian friends. I thought the place was very strange, a mixture of modernism and medieval cultures. The Pravda article reminds me of the urban legends that are common there.

One guy I met over there, Sergei, later came to visit me for a couple of weeks in San Francisco. He and his friend Nick wound up staying with me for over a year. One day they were driving around in my old Fiesta and happened onto a junkyard. They'd never seen a junkyard before. They bought an old Peugeot for $1000, repaired it in my garage, and sold it for $2200... all in their first month here. They were stunned. They eventually bought the Fiesta and flipped it, too. Sergei eventually went home (he didn't really like America, and never learned English) and now owns the biggest independent automatic transmission repair company in Russia. Nick stayed, brought his family, became a systems admin, and has a big house with a swimming pool in Sacramento.

Really, I do get around.

John

genews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Pffbt, big deal, I have a clock radio sized device that can make millions of watts. A billion is just a thousand away, merely a matter of improved construction. But electronics aren't the way to go for this, chemical means have been pushing gigawatts for centuries.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

I don't really care if they can read my mind. An honest man has no need of secrets. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe he is trying to get Jim to report him to the FBI. It would at least guarantee that John wouldn't get to share Jim's right-wing nut- case rating, despite being a known associate of Jim's.

I presume the FBI does keep tags on potential Timothy McVeighs and Jim does seem to be a long way out of touch with reality.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

I've been visited by the FBI. Very nice folks, the ones I've met. They have *very* impressive badges.

John

Two of my personal friends are ex-FBI, indeed very nice folk.

One dates back to when I was a kid going to HS with his kid. He later became managing field agent in PHX, just about the time I applied for a security clearance at Motorola... only one-day approval in Motorola history ;-)

Other friend has been shot twice while intercepting drug deals, and he's killed a few in the process. He's the one that retired, became a P.I., then solved a major murder case here in PHX when the cops had no clue. Met him because my daughters, when teenagers, baby-sat his daughters. I accosted him because my daughters came home and told me how they were to carefully answer phone calls, and relay information if someone asked for "Bear"; and that there was a .45 on top of the fridge :-(

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I bumped upon the newly formed Pravda when searching for the russian views of the Georgian crisis some time back. The tone of those articles made my hair stand up and from the language I learned some words which I didn't know before and which I wouldn't like my children to learn.

Luckily, the Pravda Online does not seem to have much in common with the venerable communist party flagship (see

) but is rather counted as yellow journalism.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
M.Kiviranta