powering a plasma TV with a step down transformer

hello, i am planning to power my 120V 50 inch plasma TV with a 800W step down transformer which transforms 220V to 120V. To my knowledge, as long as the transformer can provide the power, this should not be a problem. However i would like to know if there are any specific problems/ concerns when step down transformers are used with plasma TV's.

Thanks

Reply to
Manusha

Transformer regulation versus what voltage range the tv will tolerate. I'd check that before powering up a 50"er.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Transformers regulate? It's just a matter of turns ratio.

Reply to
miso

A big enough step down transformer with the right ratio would solve the conversion from 230 to 120 but won't the 50 hz power be more of an issue?. Was the transformer designed for 50 Hz or 60 Hz? If it's a transformer designed for 60 Hz wouldn't you have to derate it a bit for 50 Hz?

Then the tuner doesn't do DVB-T or PAL, right?

This is just a case of using a TV built for one country and using it in another with different standards, right? US TV in Sri Lanka, right?

Sri Lanka uses PAL, DVB-T and 230v 50 Hz right?

Greegor

Transformers deregulate. A 110v tf off load produces well above 110v. There lies the gotcha. Google 'transformer regulation'

I'm assuming the rf standards are compatible where you're taking it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby