Power to a PC104 bus

Hello,

I need to power a PC104 board with +5V and +12V. I'd like to provide the voltages directly through the bus instead of the connector on the board's edge.

I'm talking about an Advantec PCM3362.

I'm going to connect GND, +5V and +12V to all pins with that name. Any problems?

Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

That depends. Some pc104 cards have an onboard swithching supply, which might complicate things somewhat. I know,because I had one where that voltage was somewhat low. The harddisk did not spin up. In this particular case, connecting 5volt all over the place solved that problem. But dont assume that the internal 5 volt is directly connected to the supply connector. Only your ohmmeter can make that known. That one was a Microspace MSM-P5SEN / SEV with a pentium5 chip

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Il 30/03/2010 23.35, Sjouke Burry ha scritto:

Ok, so if I check that +5V and +12V are routed directly from the ATX power-in connector to the PC104 bus I may supply the board from there. Otherwise I will use the external connector.

Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Use both. The supplypoints scattered around the print might not be able to carry much current(thin board traces). What I did was connect those points to the power-in pins on the board, and then use that one only.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Ask them!

John

Il 31/03/2010 5.10, John Larkin ha scritto:

Why not? ;)

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese