Power module outputting more voltage than it should?

Hi.

I have an AC->DC "big plug" power module that's supposed to give 12V DC, but when I put the voltmeter on it it gave a whopping ~17.5V! What is going on there? I wanted to use this to power some LEDs (infrared), and I want 12V, not a whopping 17.5. What should I do?

Reply to
mike3

It is unregulated. Check the voltage on load.

If it's a 0.5A unit, load with 24 ohm 7W resistor and check the voltage.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

It may have a minimum load requirement. Try putting a 680 ohm 1/2 watt resistor across it, and then measure the voltage.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I don't have that, but I had some other things I tried and it does seem to cause the voltage to go down, but still over 12. The lowest I could get was like 14V.

How should it be "regulated", as I need 12V?

Reply to
mike3

hamilton