power cords?

After spending a bunch of time with the customer, filling out forms, making credit card refunds, handling and repackaging and shipping the returned thing. I guess some times they just throw it away.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

What time? When I've had to return stuff, it's taken all of 30 seconds. Computers do all the paperwork.

They have to account for the unit, so it will generally get shipped back. That's where all the "refurbished" stuff on Amazon and eBay come from. It may not be "refurbished" at all, just returned after the first sale.

Reply to
krw

I finally got rid of my kill filter for this group, just a couple days ago! He evidently isn't coming back.

Reply to
Bonk

Precisely. Most of their stuff is copper plated aluminum. All junk. Blades on the plugs are thin and flimsy. Same with most of the 'hook up' wire listed on flea bay. I even got a spool of the copper clad stuff from Jameco...it wasn't stated in the description...my bad. What is *really* annoying is one has to investigate every single component/item in a design to make sure one is getting the expected quality. No wonder things cost so much...

Reply to
jjhudak4

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 11:44:55 AM UTC-5, Rob wrote:

ly

About the only way to judge 'quality' for vehicles is 2-3 years after the f act. Quality is often synomouse with reliability, but there are many other 'ilit ies' to consider. How well does it hold up over a (long) period of time. By that time, one hopes that the same elements that contributed to the ori ginal quality haven't been changed for the worse. Way to many 'ilities' fo r the average consumer to consider when assessing quality. Walk into any de alership and ask, what is the steel rating of the body panels? zinc coated? thickness? average service cost to replace x, y, or z...you get blank star es. But we have 0.2" between body panels...yea well, what is paint thickness? how applied? etc.. For the engine, valve seats pressed in? pinned, kind of valve tempering? Total engine destruction if timing chain/belt lets loose? Type of wire and insulation quality of low voltage conductors? These are n ot trivial examples...there has been failure modes in these areas among alm ost all of the car mfg within the last 20 years. (both domestic and foreign ) So how does one judge? Well...the simple salesperson approach...Got a real ly nice paint color selection....or read reviews that evaluate vehicles 2-3 years into their life...I only know of one organization that attempts to d o that consistently. But their model sample size is relatively small. The other is word of mouth.

Point is, many different ilities constitute quality and reviewers pick and choose which ones they want to evaluate, and the best predictor seems to be reliability based on past performance. The other seems to be occupant surv iveability in a crash. All depends on what one is willing to tradeoff...or what they value most.

Reply to
jjhudak4

ally

are

s)

ll

fact.

[...]

There are mechanics that have worked on the relevant model for years, if it 's not new. They know a lot. Scotty Kilmer is one example on youtube, he di scusses some models. Looking up crash test is also useful - or you can end up with a number 1 offender in that area.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Actually, that could work well for me. Can you buy this stuff on reels? For this educational project, I need bare wire of low current capacity, and it would be helpful if a 10yo could easily break it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

just don't try to solder it ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No, it'll be screwed down.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Oh crap! For a minute I thought you were talking about AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

No, he is often enough useful, and always entertaining. Thompson was neither.

Reply to
Bonk

Even *that* will be tricky when not using crimp-on spades or lugs.

Reply to
Rob