Power cord variations

I'm rescuing a machine (PC). But, the AC power inlet differs from a "standard" modular inlet. I.e., a "standard modular power cord" won't fit.

I'm pretty sure it is a 110VAC device -- or autoranging 110/220.

But, the "blades" of the *inlet* (not "plug" as I don't have the power cord to examine) are oriented like the blades on my 220V servers. I.e., instead of:

| | |

They are oriented as:

- - -

Is this a voltage distinction? Or, current (ampacity)? (I'm sure a "standard", flimsy "modular power cord" doesn't have the current carrying capacity for the power supply's rating -- so, this may be a way to ensure the "right" power cord is used instead of "a conveniently available" one)

[I'll have to read the label on the power supply more carefully before taking possession of it]
Reply to
Don Y

** Sounds like an IEC C21 or C22 plug.

These have a 20A rating.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

My guess(tm) is the latter.

Like one of these? Kinda looks like the 3rd or 4th from the left, which which are both

208/220/230 VAC.

Try a NEMA 6-15R Panel Mount:

More:

Sorry, I have no idea. I haven't seen that on any PC power supply yet.

Google for the maker and model number of the PC power supply. There might also be a label on the power supply case with the basic specs.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

In the US, that is a 220 V plug, often used for air conditioners.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Rob

It's not a *plug* but, rather, an inlet. Just like the inlet on the rear of your PC to which the modular power cord is connected that, ultimately, terminates in a PLUG that mates with the RECEPTACLE in your wall/power strip.

These inlets differ from the one on your PC because your PC probably draws < 7A from the (120VAC) mains. This PC draws 10A @ 110V (or 5A @ 220V -- autoranging).

So, I can either use a modular cord that terminates in a 110V "plug"

*or* a 220V plug but, in the case of the former, the typical flimsy power cords that come with most kit won't be capable of safely handling the current -- and, thus, won't mechanically fit the inlet.
Reply to
Don Y