PLL synthesizer chips

Right. On most airliners, there is a thing called CSU (Constant Speed Unit) to run the generators to keep 400 Hz (+/- some).

--

-TV
Reply to

In the short term, the old Galvani discovery that a frog's leg twitches when introduced to dissimilar metals, was a 'toy'.

Nowadays, everyone with a pacemaker is glad that the phenomenon was not dismissed as 'a toy' by everyone. The existence of a scientist with an exhausted imagination (or who just likes to keep his imagination private) is all that you've encountered.

The 'toy' label on Galvani's demonstration didn't stick, and maybe the one on CERN won't either. CERN, after all, is where the world wide web was created (and it was pretty much a non-toy inside a decade).

Reply to
whit3rd

One function of NIF is nuclear-weapons related. They can't test live gadgets any more, so they need an experimental platform to test their simulation code. And they need something to keep young scientists interested in this physics.

France has LMJ, Megajoule, probably for the same reason.

We also designed the amplitude modulators for the 192 beam lines at NIF.

lunatic fringe electronics

those here.

I suppose what he does - and reveals - is a sort of design process. It come s closer to what I see as tinkering, and desperately working through altern atives. The design part presumably comes in when he decides that a particul ar approach can't be made to work well enough and has to think up a differe nt approach.

It does require that there's little enough going on to let you fit the what 's happening into a paragraph or two here. More serious work takes several pages of description.

That would be aimed at secondary school students then?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The funny part is that it is a very emotional thing to him. He has issues with not having his designs respected. Those he respects point out short comings and he copes. But when I point out short comings he reacts like a small child. A very funny man.

I'm not sure who gets to see his work in progress other than this forum.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:55:58 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

He did not need a hundred trillion dollars and a bunch of Einstein reciting school kids doing mathematic acrobatics. He did it on the lab table. Same for the guy how came up with the steam engine. Same for Curie and Fermi. Same for the guy who came up with the modern lithium batteries. The list is endless. Same for the Wright brothers. Same for radar.

That guy left CERN immediately, it was HIS idea, individual, to have clickable links in text. It had nothing to do with their marble shooter and never will.

There is MIC (Military Industrial Complex) AND there is SIC (Scientific Industrial Complex) ever proposing more expensive and more useless ideas so politicians can say: 'Look what we do for science.' The REAL science comes from other places. often things discovered by accident, All CERN is good for is bomb shelters, and maybe even not that usable.

Job creation, YOUR job?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 Oct 2017 17:29:43 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Of course, the reason all those kids were pressed through physics school after WW2 was they wanted something bigger that the A bomb. For what? Blow up the planet, or whole solar system, or whole galaxy, or create a new big bang?

NOTHING usable came out of it, Reagan gambled on 'star wars', they could not build it... (There was the 'anti matter' bomb jive for a while, hard to make teh stuff).

Did not N Korea just test what hey claimed was a H bomb?

I looked at that picture of the Great Leader Kim standing next to that thing, what caught my attention was that photo-multiplier like thing sticking out. I am a bit rusty on nuke physics, in my school days it was all more open and even in high school I remember having to calculate critical mass for a test... I just wonder if it _is_ a PMT and if he measured flux and then uses that to do the correct timing .. It is no longer high tech..

International treaties for non-testing have been ignored many times. US still does underground testing IIRC.

There are cheaper ways to keep you scientists interested, and interest comes from within. it cannot be fueled into the head. On that subject I watched a presentation by our own Dutch scientist about a new theory about dark matter and the universe. I have now watched it 2 times, and still do not get what he is on about, even downloaded it and went through it several times:

Maybe you get it? (emerging gravity, 'bits' .. ?? ;-) ) At least in the end in the questions and answers where he is checkmated by some kid he admits he could be wrong, I like that, (renormalisation?)

As to the Russians, when pace shuttle came, they (was it espionage?) build one just like that. It never flew AFAIK, they scrapped it realizing (the Russians are very clever) it was just a money sink.

Same for the Nuclear powered airplane, US had test flights, so did the Russians. It killed they pilots by radiation, they stopped. Sometimes they are better sometimes that are worse SECAM was a TV color system they adapted (French invention) that was NOT better than PAL, and GLONASS (their GPS system) was not better than GPS, it was worse, but the new GLONASS fixes that, uses the same system as GPS. The list is much longer. For nuke testing it is all no issue, they have the Tsar bomb.

is it not big enough?

:-)

OK, this discussion has no end.

Oh, and the Russians provide the taxi service to the ISS for the US. What happened? Some idiot politician ordered the Apollo plans destroyed. US with dems versus reps is a deadlock situation falling ever further behind, the world did catch up, and is ahead. History has some lessons, I like to refer to the history of the Roman empire, once ruled much of the world (except in Gallie, where Asterix .. OK ) but anyways, after the revolt of the slaves, ever weirder leaders (Nero comes to mind, did I mention Trump? Maybe but Trump cannot play an instrument now can he? Well he plays twitter, OK, so he will have Washington bombed while twittering his favorite lines..) anyways Rome was taken by 'Barbarians'. That same Rome that once had a politician says 'And Carthage must be destroyed' just like you say from so many countries now Iran, Afghanistan, N Korea, whoever does not want to buy you crap weapons. They all go for the Tsar bomba!!! Can you blame them?

;-

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Almost all ideas are "individual".

A key point is the environment in which ideas can be generated, nurtured and propagated; CERN provided all those. There were many competing ideas at that time; they all failed, partly because of the environment in which they were created.

It is important that it had nothing to do with particle colliders. It is a very simple demonstration of why fundamental research is important: completely unpredicted, possibly unpredictable, advances occur.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The US proposed a nuke-free world at the end of WWII. The Soviets wouldn't have it. So we got the Cold War and MAD.

The only thing that Star Wars ever destroyed was the Berlin Wall. Oh, the USSR too.

Kim never lies.

Note that in most pics of Kim, he is surrounded with old generals. Each carries a notepad with pencil poised. They can't afford to miss any of his words of wisdom (on pain of death, apparently.)

And people argue for "diplomacy" !

No. Implosion tests are done on non-fissile samples, but that's above ground. Los Alamos and Tracy, Ca, near Livermore. They occasionally knock down a tree, or kill a rabbit, or start a grass fire; that's about all.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 09:55:20 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

A bit silly from the one who just nuked 2 cities in Japan don't you think.

He bought their leader Gorbatchov, made him into a moonlighting Vodka salesman. I see him as a traitor to their people.

Kim is the greatest, almost as great as you. But honestly trusting trump versus the great leader Kim, I'd trust Kim.

Yes, I have noticed, quite different from trumps generals calling trump Moron.

If you say so, why bother if you have the Tsar bomba.... Trump recently donated some trillions to revamping the nuculear arsenal. Trillions you do not even have, are borrowed money, printed paper without gold backup. The debt goes up each year, and you call countries that have a trade surplus BAD BAD BAD that is no capitalism, that is ? Well, trumpism trump-piss-m ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

after WW2 was they wanted something bigger that the A bomb.

create a new big bang?

ff).

hing, what caught my attention

a test...

t to do the correct timing ..

I'm quite sure those same generals would make sure Kim had an "accident" if he really tried to normalize things in NK. They know that if things chan ge they will be starving like the rest and or put in front of a firing squad w hen the population realize what has been going on for +60 years

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 10:58:07 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

I payed some attention and noticed nobody looks like 'starving' in what I see from N Korea. Unlike what lives on the streets in some US cities. The streets are clean and the buildings seem solid and neat. There seems to be discipline in the army, and the army shows. All people stand, unlike in the US where some kneel when the national hymn is played. There is a clear policy, army comes first, unlike in the US where greed comes first. No huge flooding due to badly maintained infrastructure. Basically unity.

There is an emphasis of delivering the goods in science, bomb research, not on just creating jobs and making stupid toys like F35 and some warships and submarines in the US. Very few in N Korea will want a disaster like the US system over what they have, want even less a moron leader.

As to your guys 'observations' you do not look at the news, you just listen to that annoying sound track telling you what you should see.

By now you know I respect the Great Leader Kim, as I do respect Putin, I despise Trump and his party.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Quite the opposite.

Yeah, Uncle Joe Stalin was a much nicer guy.

lunatic fringe electronics

Except when they are being tortured.

I have a really nice free-energy machine that I could sell you.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 11:45:27 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Ah, you knew him?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 11:49:02 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Like I mentioned above: greed. Every body knows sunshine is free, except in the US.

I know you like drawing with pencil and line paper, maybe we can make piece or was it peace, how about this:

Jan Panteltje

I knew, very well, some citizens of the USSR. I spent some time in Moscow; I was there when Reagan was elected.

lunatic fringe electronics

OK, I'll give you the SED discount.

That's cool, but it only works on Youtube. It wouldn't fool a real person with two eyes.

I recently designed a board using CAD schematic entry. It probably took 5x as long as it would have taken to draw it on D-size paper and hand that off to my layout guy.

lunatic fringe electronics

se

nt"

s chan=

quad w=

t I see from N Korea.

hymn is played.

d comes first.

, not on just creating jobs and making stupid toys like

they have,

ld see.

I despise Trump and his party.

telling someone else to do the work takes less time than actually doing the work, who would have thought ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I do it the same way as John, except B-size. We find that maps pretty well to a CAD schematic page.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs