PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

My nephew texted me to say his PS3 HDMI port is busted.
Wants me to fix it.

Q: Anybody got a part # for this connector?

It's the 3rd one down on the left hand side of this image:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/LFW1qhsALFiOBSHE.huge

Through hole.
And apparently, there's a "slim" version PS3 and it uses a different connector, as does the PS4.

I looked for a teardown parts list online, but didn't find one.
I might not be looking in all the right places though.

Thanks!!

Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

The port probably NOT busted.  There are HDMI related problems worth
exploring before you assume the connector is broken.
"How to solve PS3 Display problem and how to get HD display back"
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2OzWL3SB5I

If the connector is really mangled, you can get (almost) anything on
eBay.  Searching for "PS3 HDMI connector" yields:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-3-PS3-New-HDMI-Port-Connector-Socket-Replacement-Set-of-2/142559991017
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-HDMI-Port-Socket-Jack-Connector-For-Playstation-3-PS3-Slim-2000-2500-Console/282874521177
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-HDMI-Port-Socket-Jack-Connector-For-Playstation-3-PS3-2000-2500-Console/182491412254
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-HDMI-Port-Socket-Interface-Connector-Replacement-for-PS3-2000-2500-USA/371933096827
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Playstation-3-PS3-Slim-CECH-3000-3001-HDMI-Port-Socket-Interface-Connector/262410506520
etc...  Plenty more available.

Note that some of these are for the 2000 and 2500 PS3, while others
are for the 3000 or 3001 PS3.  Identify the console before buying.

Replacing these through hole connectors are difficult.  In order, I
remove the metal shielding, remove the plastic cover to expose the
pins, and then unsolder the pins one at a time.  No need to save the
old connector.  I use a hot air SMT desoldering tool instead of copper
braid.  There are several videos on YouTube for how it's done.
<

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps3+hdmi+connector+repair

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 12:56:47 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
  There are several videos on YouTube for how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps3+hdmi+connector+repair

Thanks Jeff,
I'm waiting for nephew to confirm which model he has (I'm suspecting a regular PS3 as my sister's family is usually money-challenged.)

Anyway, I looked at one of the YouTube videos and while it looks like an invasive project, it's not too bad if you have all the right gear, which I do at work.
I just don't want to futz with not having the exact HDMI, and this one is a thru-hole 19-pin job, plus the mechanical mounting pins.  Definitely a heat-gun project.

I was hoping for a DigiKey or Mouser part#.
I guess I could go the eBay route, but that's not my first preference.

Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps3+hdmi+connector+repair

OK.  I'll wait before digging.  However, I did sift through what
Digikey offers in HDMI type A receptacles (right angle PCB).  There
are 271 candidates.  Of the one's that had readable photos, all of
them had 4 metal mounting pins.  The photos of the PS3 connectors all
show 2 metal mounting pins.  I would guess(tm) that it would be
possible to break off the extra pins, but I'm not certain:
<https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/usb-dvi-hdmi-connectors/312?k=&pkeyword=&FV=fff40016%2Cfff802e4%2C70036f%2Cffe00138&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize25%>

Not a heat gun as in a shrink tube gun or hair dryer, but an SMT hot
air rework station.  Something like this:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/321278661223
Mine is similar but I can't find a photo.

I hate to be the bearer of the obvious, but most consumer electronics
is not designed to be repaired.  I've ranted on the topic before
(several times) with little effect.  The GUM (great unwashed masses)
want it cheap, at any price.  At this time, it is difficult to obtain
parts, schematics, waveforms, voltages, theory of operation, or the
time of day from the manufacturers of consumer electronics.  However,
there is hope, in the various right to repair bills:
<https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id20%1720180AB2110
Of course, it won't work because the politicians will add amendments
that exempt specific industries until everything is exempt.
Automobiles just got snuck in as an exemption.  I expect Apple
products to be next.  Oh well.

I'll wait until you identify the model number and look again.

Fast, cheap, and not great.  What more could you want?
Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

$100.  Hard to beat that.
We have an SMT re-work station at work, but for $100 I think I'll have to g
et one for home. :)

Interesting (not really) that 11 people are "watching" this item on eBay.
Like what, they think they're going to get one for $90?  :)

I concur with your assessment about the overall futility of repairing many
modern-day mass produced consumer electronics.  A friend's Marantz 5.1 surr
ound-sound HDMI-capable stereo receiver comes immediately to mind.  Total p
iece of shit.  (I really can't stress that enough!)  Way too complex for wh
at it is (as in, Marantz must have some unwritten policy about using as man
y discrete circuit boards and interconnects for feature add-on's as possibl
e).  Which circuit boards are single-sided, with I'm guessing 0.00001 ounce
 "copper"?  Might be slag or pewter?  Hard to tell.  :)

You can't even get to the diagnostic test ports without disassembling the v
ery things you want to test.  Not that it matters much since you can't even
 start some of the tests without using the infra-red remote (which of cours
e, was lost years ago).

In short:  Not manufactured with the repairman in mind.

Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

The one in the above URL is 220VAC, not 117VAC.  It's also coming from
China, which may take a while to arrive.

If you want cheap, these might be of interest
for $50:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/122566582827
or $56:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/131713244885
or $51:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/200965828093
If you do buy one for the PS3 repair, please practice on some old
PCB's before attacking the PS3.  There's a fine line between
unsoldering and incineration.  Also, plastic melts before solder.
Build a heat wall out of some aluminum foil to protect nearby parts.
Use liquid flux.  I still suggest removing one pin at a time.

You might want to look into low temp bismuth/tin solder (Chip Quick
and Quick Alloy):
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JXEfvEqMAU

<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo

Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

One more for $36:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/381876911560

Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

Thanks Jeff!

BTW: Some of our parts stock at work (particularly RF connectors) have part#'s that begin with "CCC".  I think it stands for "Ching-Chang-Chong".  :)

The slow-boat is great for some stuff.  (Maybe even this?)
But I can't say I'd recommend them for anything RF above about 300 MHz.  :)

We have a tech who can assist me (or just do it for me).
I'm old-school in that the vast majority of my [extensive] soldering experience involves a Pace SX-70/85 vacuum extractor for thru-hole.

Oh, and lead solder of course.

Re: PlayStation3 HDMI Connector ?

Close.  Try Chi Chi Chong:
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chi%20chi%20chong
Someone in China either had a great sense of humor, or was totally
stoned.

Except for PIM (passive intermodulation), some tolerance problems, and
a tendency to fall apart when stressed, I haven't seen many problems
with Chinese connectors.

Ummm... something like this antique on my bench?
<
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/pace-desoldering-station.jpg

I don't think the Pace solder sucking tip I use with it will fit
between the pins on the HDMI connector.

Of course.  When it seemed that the sale of leaded solder was going to
be banned, I stocked up with a collection of various 63/37 lead/tin
rolls of solder.  After a while, I realized that the ban wasn't going
to be enforced, so I sold off a few rolls at a loss.  I still have
enough solder to last the rest of my life.