Plastic screws

For that SEM cathodoluminescence gizmo I mentioned in the distributed attenuator thread, I need to cool a multi-pixel photon counter (MPPC) down to about -10C. It's on the end of a piece of aluminum with about 5 K/W thermal resistance, so I need to keep the heat leak to a minimum or I'll run out of Q-dot.

So I'm sort of breathing on the cold plate design. Silver epoxy is a good option, because it eliminates the heat leak through the screws, but I really want to put a compressive preload on the TEC, because that improves its shear strength and shock resistance.

One traditional approach is to use nylon screws. Switching from #2 stainless to #6 nylon reduces the heat leak by 20x. However, nylon isn't good in a vacuum, because it outgasses, dries out, and falls apart. (At least it's reasonably cheap--a nickel a screw or thereabouts.)

I looked at other plastic screws at McMaster-Carr, and the price difference is fairly shocking--even screws made of some totally garden-variety plastic such as PVC cost dollars apiece, and just forget Vespel or any of the other plastics you really want.

Anybody got a source of plastic screws other than nylon?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Am 17.07.19 um 15:25 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

M1 stainless steel + 2* TO-3 / TO-220 fiberglass-reinforced insulation washers?

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

On Jul 17, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article):

I think you will have to machine the non-nylon hardware. Delrin is a good

press-fit delrin, so threads may not be needed.

them in compression.

Or, if thermal insulation is the only rest, a stack of shiny steel plates with staggered metal separators (which can be spot-welded), so the leakage paths are very long, and radiation coupling between plates dominates (there been no air to support convection).

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Too big a heat leak. A larger plastic part with steel screws could work, but this gizmo has to fit in a really tight space.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ceramic is a surprisingly decent thermal conductor, unfortunately--better than glass, and much better than plastic. SEMs don't run in UHV, so FR-4 is okay. At lower delta-T you can just have the board hang ten over the TEC and use the FR-4 for insulation.

Interesting idea about the delrin--maybe I could use unthreaded plastic studs with those speed-nut-like grip gizmos on the other end. (What are those things called, anyway?)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Got a sketch of the geometry?

lunatic fringe electronics

Well a bunch of silly ideas... The Delrin sounds OK, maybe a machine shop can cut a thread on the end of a rod for you. (There are a few places on the web listing delrin screws, but no prices.)

How about soldering/ or epoxy and then squeeze it some other way. (Fishing line/ zip ties, something else?)

You need my beer can cooler on the hot plate :^) Has anyone done a distributed two stage TEC, Some small TEC in vacuum and then a bigger one outside the vacuum going to a heatsink?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:25:04 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Dunno, magnetic levitation?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Push nuts or self threading nuts. Also, mcmaster.com has fiberglass threaded rod but the smallest is 3/8"-16, for $15/foot so not completely hateful. They also have plain FRP fiberglass rod down to 1/8" diameter you could use with the push nuts. I think that would be stiffer, stronger, and less prone to creep than delrin.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

PEEK is a pretty good engineering plastic that will tolerate hard vacuum fairly well provided that you don't want to bake it too hard. I don't think you are going to like their prices though. eg.

Or for a one off buy some PEEK rod and thread it yourself.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

If the sizes work out, you can just scrunch a ss nut onto a Delrin rod.

lunatic fringe electronics

Stainless steel spring? That wouldn't conduct much heat.

lunatic fringe electronics

Don't base your pricing on McMaster. Their core business is the one-off, priced accordingly.

Buy the parts you need now, and source them [cheaply] later. (They'll tell you who made the part, on request.)

It really doesn't matter until you need actual boxes of, or pounds of, fasteners.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

)

I'm just curious about what you say of nylon in a vacuum. While plastics a bsorb moisture and that moisture will be released in a vacuum, the moisture should not strengthen the material, in fact moisture reduces the strength. I see they refer to moisture increasing the "toughness" of nylon which I believe means resistance to shock, so I guess pulling the moisture out make s it more brittle.

Polycarbonate is an affordable material. It seems to have better propertie s for your application than Nylon, although that's not a high bar. Here's one source.

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

How about stainless screws with nylon step washers as heat insulators. Especially in vacuum, there is no heat conduction without compliant thermal conductors or grease, only radiation. You'd be AMAZED at the poor thermal conductivity of flat, clean surfaces clamped together, in vacuum. Thermal conductivity drops by a factor of 100:1 when the air is pumped out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hi,

If you can get the torque accurate, low conductivity sufficiently strong wire through the same screw holes and twisted with pliers to tighten might be simplest.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Amazon has acetal (delrin) screws for a few cents each.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Can you use rubber rivets?

They could also provide tension.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

McMaster -Carr had threaded rod, but the smallest was

10-24 (or something)

Back in grad school I made threaded rod with the right size rod, (maybe with help of a lathe) and a die. I once just ran a die down a piece of rod, (~1/8" Tellerium copper) by hand... the thread got all wiggley-woggley after a while. (I needed to hold the die perpendicular to the rod axis... I was much younger then.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh Phil, I wanted to ask how many screws, you are using to hold down the TEC. (I've used 2 and 4, I can make arguments for 1 and 3.) Curious minds want to know, George :^)

Reply to
George Herold