Plasma transistor

Have you heard of plasma transistors?:

University of Utah. (2014, March 20). Tiny transistors for extreme environs: Engineers shrink plasma devices to resist radiation. ScienceDaily:

Quote: "... Plasma-based transistors, which use charged gases or plasma to conduct electricity at extremely high temperatures, are employed currently in light sources, medical instruments and certain displays under direct sunlight (but not plasma TVs, which are different). These microscale devices are about 500 microns long, or roughly the width of five human hairs. They operate at more than 300 volts, requiring special high-voltage sources. Standard electrical outlets in the United States operate at 110 volts. The new devices designed by the University of Utah engineers are the smallest microscale plasma transistors to date. They measure 1 micron to

6 microns in length, or as much as 500 times smaller than current state-of-the-art microplasma devices, and operate at one-sixth the voltage. They also can operate at temperatures up to 1,450 degrees Fahrenheit. [] Since nuclear radiation ionizes gases into plasma, this extreme environment makes it easier for plasma devices to operate. ..."

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Isn't that what Joerg makes from time to time?

Reply to
Tom Miller

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:08:26 -0400) it happened "Tom Miller" wrote in :

As far as I understand this it is a small thyratron:

As switch - logic gate - yes. Als LINEAR device (transistor) that would be difficult.

Also I am quite sure that nuclear radiation can trigger the gas...

So, wait for it in the shop... :-) Tjernobyl... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Another goofy press-release invention. Sounds useless and, especially, unreliable. A transistor with a built-in plasma etcher.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Related:

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

The multivibrator is cool.

Here's a 2 megawatt plasma transistor:

The thing that it was used to trigger ran at somewhat higher power.

Has anybody get the data sheet for this gadget?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2014 18:26:46 -0500) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

I like this very much, thank you for posting that link.

Now I never have to buy transistors again...

Wonder how fast, how high frequency you can get with an LC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He's also got a CdS-cum-MOSFET, and there's the CdS-pair-cum-UJT:

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Oct 2014 07:51:53 -0500) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

Cool, I have some UJTs from ebay, but this, with 2 CDS cells and a LED, I have never seen before. Learned some new trick :-). It is great how he goes into basic theory too.

Main advantage of UJT oscillators is that those are not very supply voltage sensitive, as it is all about that semiconductor resistor ratio.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Someone used to make a TO3 packaged CdS photoresistor, the idea being to make an AC power amp, with a small lightbulb as the input.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:48:28 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

In the old tubes based teefee studio in the audio mixer they used CdS cells with a light bulb mounted in some tube to control the volume of each audio channel. One of our jobs was to replace and calibrate those things on a regular basis so the faders would work correctly. Seems to make a nice noise free control.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The bummer about CdS and CdSe cells was their extreme instability with time, temperature, and illumination history. They were fine in places like Wein bridge oscillators where absolute value stability doesn't matter.

They made nice choppers, too. HP made a DVM that went down to 1 mV full-scale needle deflection. The input chopper and output demod were CdSe cells with a light bulb and a clock-motor-light-chopper wheel. Cool.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The HP425A works like that, but the low scale is 10 uV fullscale. It has current ranges from 10 micro-micro-amperes (we'd say 10 pA) up to 3 mA.

Reply to
whit3rd

I have an HP 7035B plotter which uses this: judging by the austere design and lengthy revision history, it doesn't at all look like a traditional HP instrument (aside from the print quality of the manual); I think it was designed by another company which was bought by HP back in the day.

Looking at the circuit board, you might be quite perplexed by the use of only two 2N3055s (on small heatsinks) to supply bidirectional drive to two motors, but it makes perfect sense as you follow the circuit.

The photocells in question are very "narrow" (little or no interdigitation) and TO-39 packaged; they are coupled to neon tubes via some fishpaper tubes or something like that.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Thanks. :)

A shame about the shaky camera though... I need a proper tripod one of these days.

That 'Powermaster' of mine goes pretty low, I think under 100 ohms in daylight.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Writing traffic tickets from three states away? A laser show from the ISS? Or, the future's so bright, you have to wear shades...

Since I probably already have a little purple light all my own, I Googled.

has some numbers, but I have no idea if they're accurate. That company also claims to be manufacturing an equivalent of a different part number.

What looks to be the same data table appears on a Japanese page, about halfway down.

These guys

have that same part for sale, but apparently only for one month out of the year, or even just one day. Maybe you can ask them for a data sheet.

talks about using one as a crowbar in a high-voltage supply. PDF pages 65 and 146, paper pages 55 and 136.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds