Ping: Tim Wescott, New FAA Regulation

Tim,

How is the new FAA regulation going to impact model airplane aficionados?

I'm not in tune with that hobby so I don't know what 0.55 pound means wrt a model airplane. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It means they all have to register and put the ID's on their models. But not for each model, they can reuse the number.

Add's more realism ;)

Martin Riddle

It makes for a bunch of pissed-off model airplane aficionados, particularly since Congress put "hands off model airplanes" language into the most recent FAA funding rules.

0.55 pounds means little rubber-powered jobbies, quad copters no bigger than the palm of your hand, and RC planes with wingspan of no more than 16 inches or so (your mileage may vary -- a good builder can always make a big thing lighter, a poor builder can always make a little thing heavier).
--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

.55lbs isn't a lot of battery, so I imagine it'll affect most.

Reply to
krw

Do you have to file a flight plan yet?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Basically, yes - you have to let the nearest airport know if you're operating within 5 miles and observe any NOTAMs (NOtice To Air Men).

Grizzly H.
Reply to
mixed nuts