Ping Phil Hobbs

I suggested this might be the way to go in a post here a couple of years back and now some enterprising soul has got off his butt and done something about it. IIRC Phil, you and I both own this particular SA and I was wondering what you think about this item:

Cursitor Doom

That is a very worthwhile modification for the 8566A/B and 8567B (actually the 85662A IF unit). Lowers the weight, the power consumption, and greatly improves the display. Down load the manual and read it several times before starting the modification. Simmconn is a very good company and stands behind their products.

I also use their LCD displays in the HP70004 unit and the HP8757A/B.

Regards.

Reply to
tom

Thanks very much indeed for that feedback. I have been seriously considering such a mod for all my CRT-based classic test equipment for a long time now. I'd rather spend heaps of money keeping a Tek or HP boat anchor alive than spend a single penny on some brand new piece of ephemeral Chinese junk.

Cursitor Doom

Just now seeing this post but: yes, the Simmconn LCD is drop-dead awesome. Even if your 8566 or 8568 has a perfect CRT, it's still worth it IMHO. (Be sure to get the 1024x768 version if he's still offering a choice. The 8566 needs the extra pixels, while the later portables don't.)

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Thanks, John. It's always nice when a product gets great reviews and no negative feedback. I'm hoping it stays that way.

Cursitor Doom