PING: Joerg or other medical types

My wife was in hospital yesterday for yet another MRI (*) and I was watching the blood pressure monitor. It spit out a list...

12:30 136/101 (105) 12:45 163/97 (112) 13:00 164/72 (95) 13:15 150/69 (91) 13:30 148/70 (87) 13:38 150/74 (92)

What is the meaning of the numbers in parentheses? It's not the Oxygen sensor, that was a separate display.

(*) Making sure the subdural hematoma and blood in the spinal column have subsided before doing any "vertebrae" glue-jobs. ...Jim Thompson

Systolic, diastolic and pulse pressure?

Reply to
JM

Nope - numbers don't fit.

Reply to
JM

The hospital system I have here right now (GE Marquette Eagle 4000) reads for the non-invasive pressure:

  1. Systolic pressure
  2. Diastolic pressure
  3. Mean pressure
  4. Pulse rate

My unscientific guess is it might have been the mean pressure vaue then. Those machine have pretty intricate software where they take the whole curve into account, not just the two measured values.

Give her all my best. Scary stuff but in contrast to 30 years ago much of it has now become routine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What is "pulse pressure"? Never heard that term before. ...Jim Thompson

I thought that might be. Pulse rate was also a separate display... hovers right around 56 no matter what... which is why I keep complaining to her dumb-ass doctor... wrong BP medication... let her rate go up and pressure come down.

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

it's heart beats per minute.

Reply to
David Eather

O2 numbers should be higher (87 wouldn't be good) so there's little chance those numbers reflect that.

It's likely that average pulse rate over the interval is the number in parentheses.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

O2 numbers cannot possibly be higher than 100 - I can tell you as a fact the number in brackets is BPM.

People, please stop posting speculation - it will only worry Jim and raise his heart rate!

Reply to
David Eather

Does your wife do any heavy thinking ?

If so ask her a year from now how she feels.

Is she still capable of "heavy thinking" or has her mind become tired ?!

I'd like to know the result of this question ! :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I noticed it on the monitor last time I visited someone in hospital. It's (I think) just the difference between systolic and diastolic, so it obviously isn't what is displayed here. I'm sure Joerg is correct (mean pressure).

Reply to
JM

O2 display always showed 99-100

I think Joerg nailed it... _mean_ pressure. ...Jim Thompson

If the BP is unstable it may take a while to dial in the right medication "cocktail". I have seen cases where that took several months. It would be good to have one of those automatic monitors (where a motor pumps up the cuff) and a notepad or small computer next to it so an Excel file can be created.

A neighbor's daughter really tested fate and I was amazed they could get her back. Trampoline ... WHOOPS ... landed on head ... neck let off a crunching sound. First they thought she'd be gone but now she has all motion back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Heart rate? Not unusual for a woman in a stressful situation.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Heart rate?

Reply to
krw

I think all BP monitor manufacturers now have BlueTooth monitors that will connect to cell phones and then to the cloud where you can get the data into a CSV. I just got an Omeron but I think it's defective. :-(

Whew! That must have been terrifying.

Reply to
krw

...and 112 wouldn't be so good either. ;-)

That would be my guess, too.

Reply to
krw

Of what interest is mean pressure?

Reply to
krw

I hate to agree with krw, but jut this once I agree with him that it's likely to be heart rate in beats per minute.

MRI machines are noisy and stressful, and a relatively high heart rate makes every kind of sense.

A pulse rate of 56bpm on a separate display probably wasn't hooked up to anything. I have real difficulty getting my pulse rate down to 56 (which isn't the lowest I've recorded) if I'm not totally relaxed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

=_NextPart_000_001F_01D153C3.FEE9FA50 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Tom Miller