PING Joerg

Hi Joerg,

My wife fixed a dinner last night that I think you'd like:

She did a Kielbasa wrapped in phyllo/filo/fillo dough, then baked... pretty much in the style of how you would do a Beef Wellington.

Came out juicy and delicious.

Served with Kraut and cold German Potato Salad ;-) ...Jim Thompson

mmm yummy.... sauerkraut... kartoffel salat,bierwurst,pommes frittes ohne saltz und Kase kuchen :)

Reply to
TTman

Ja!

My ancestry is primarily Scottish, but my grandmother on the Thompson side was German, Rhoda Warner. And there was always a Kraut barrel at the bottom of the rain gutter, with a big stone compressing the Kraut ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Kielbasa is Polish, and very delicious. I am not a big fan of filo dough, doesn't jibe with my stomach too well.

Yesterday we barbecued pork filet and bratwurst, regular and the "sweat beads on the forehead" hot version. Also sliced potato halves cooked on the barbie, plus whiskey peppercorn sauce. Yummm ...

BTW, during one of those executive team building seminars two of us were tasked with making filo dough all the way from scratch, layering and the whole nine yards.

I do like Sauerkraut and cold potato salads (if there is not too much mustard in them). My favorite potato salad has hard boiled egg chunks it it and also thick cubed and fried bacon (called Speck in German). A surgeon general's nightmare.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Had venison and horse (different cities, different meals), each with billard-ball size potato dumplings and red cabbage last week in Eastern Germany. Everyone was worried about salads, but it was fine.

Might be time to take a vacation over there.. beautiful roads (road surface, but also no billboards or giant petrol station signs) etc. Nice to be able to go 110-130mph legally when the conditions are good. At current exchange rates prices don't seem too bad for the quality.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Did the bird droppings washed off the roof improve the taste?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This was high up in the Appalachians... Pendleton County, WV. Roofs so steep (for snow clearance), and tin to boot, that I doubt any bird could stand on it.

At any rate I don't remember any such issue.

What I do remember... vividly... is my grandfather grabbing a chicken by its head, spinning it a few times, then it'd run around the farm yard, still upright in spite of the head dangling off to the side, and bleed itself out ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Just like Usenet trolls. No blood to the brain, but they are running in circles on their keyboards.

Michael A. Terrell

Does anyone have any ideas why a chicken is able to stay upright under such conditions... what is their balancing mechanism? ...Jim Thompson

Considering the size of their brain, I'd suspect it's part of the nervous system. Another of those annoying 'reflexes' that tick off so many trolls. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Ah, our tastes in potato salad are opposite, then. I take commercial mustard potato salad, add a tablespoon or two of hot mustard, and then they are not too bad... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Commercial potato salad? Out of a plastic bucket? Eeeuw! My wife always makes it from scratch. Cook potatoes, peel, boil eggs, fry bacon, chops onions, and so on. As simple as a potato salad looks, it's actually a lot of work. But IMHO well worth it.