Ping Jim Thompson Sine Shaper question ????

Not necessarily. Some posters (JL on several occasions) have expressed issues with quads where common bias circuitry caused undesirable cross-talk between OpAmps (or comparators) in the same package.

I don't do hardly any designs with jelly-bean parts so I can't say with certainty which parts would have cross-talk issues.

It just struck me that rail-to-rail output devices are unlikely to have the problem.

Singles would work.

An alternate solution is to add 8 more diodes and 8 more resistors... preventing railing. I can post that solution if there is interest... next week sometime... another deadline looms ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

ah, got ya :)

Zeners would do it, is that what you mean?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No. A "catcher" loop that stops the OpAmp back-swing when it isn't in "clamp" mode. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I'm not imagining it. Maybe show us some time when your deadlines are dead.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Interesting and pretty idea. I wonder how many degrees of freedom you need to allow for the not quite ideal tanh function of real components.

I gave it a try in a spreadsheet and optimising for |x| < pi/2 got a surprisingly good fit to a sine wave using least squares.

pseudosine(x) = (tanh(ax)-bx)*c

where a = 0.3374, b = 0.2708, c = 9.386

A slightly lucky solution got an even better fit requiring the residuals to be multiplied by 1000 to be viisible on the same graph. Leading error term is about 0.02% of third harmonic judging by eye.

a = 0.3813, b = 0.27166, c = 9.125

Insisting on having absolutely no discontinuity in gradient at the peak ties down the solution but might not be minimum THD.

I can't quite reproduce your results exactly but the conclusion is that it ought to work rather well with a bit of fine tuning. It is a bit tetchy about the parameter tuning > 3 sig fig needed ideally.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Quicky...

In the sine shaper case this "R" will affect the sizing of the PWL step resistors. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Right, cheers. Not come across that one. My remaining braincell was trying to think in terms of adding feedback when output got within a diode drop of a rail.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh, I like it. Thanks.

George H. (A thread on simple (1) opamp circuits would be fun for me... right, I'll start on when I have more time.)

Reply to
George Herold

+1

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+2 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

are you allowed 2 votes? I won't tell though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Accumulating ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Yep, I can see how to do that with a pair of opamps. One monostable to set pulse width, 2nd integrator to add the incoming pulses analoguely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr