Ping: Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Is there a way to set up a short-cut to a remote desktop connection so I can avoid all this clickety-clack...

Start/All Programs/Accessories/Remote Desktop Connection

Thanks for your help! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Nevermind... I just realized all I needed to do was make a shortcut to the RDP file. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Do you not want to drag it to your desktop?

Shortcut key.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open programs Windows 7 More

You can create keyboard shortcuts to open programs. Before you get started, you need to create a shortcut for the program to which you want to assign a keyboard shortcut. To do this, open the folder that contains the program's executable file, right-click it, and then click Create Shortcut. For more information about creating shortcuts to programs, see Create or delete a shortcut.

Locate the shortcut to the program that you want to create a keyboard shortcut for.

Right-click the shortcut, and then click Properties.

In the Shortcut Properties dialog box, click the Shortcut tab.

Click in the Shortcut key box, press the key on your keyboard that you want to use in combination with Ctrl+Alt (keyboard shortcuts automatically start with Ctrl+Alt), and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you're using a program that also has a keyboard shortcut using the same key combination as the shortcut you just created, then your shortcut might not work.

To learn more about Windows 7 keyboard shortcuts, see Keyboard shortcuts. Notes

The word None appears in the Shortcut key box until you press a key; then it's replaced with Ctrl+Alt+the key that you pressed.

You can't use the Esc, Enter, Tab, Spacebar, PrtScn, Shift, or Backspace keys to create a keyboard shortcut.

Reply to
amdx

When you make a connection you save that connection information in an "RDP" file. A short-cut to the RDP file works. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yep. You got it.

I don't like Microsoft Remote Desktop mostly because dual monitor support only works with Win 7 Ultimate and Enterprise on both ends. Instead, I suggest you try the free version of TeamViewer:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What settings are needed in Win7 to make the screen-saver behave normally?

Right now the "bubbles" start-up, but leave the desktop and any open windows showing.

Previously I always liked "Starfield", but it's not in the selectable patterns. Where can I find more screen-savers.

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Neither of us are "normal" so I can't answer that.

For Starfield, go unto your previous machine and copy the file: C:\Windows\System32\ssstars.scr to the same location on your Windoze 7 machine. Starfield should then become a choice.

Also, here's an alternative Starfield screen burner:

There are a mess of alternative screen savers and creaters found with this search: Many companies and organizations have their own screensavers and wallpaper on their web piles. For example:

If you're desperate, find a directory full of interesting JPG's and use the slide show screen saver.

I set my screen to either stay on all the time, or go to black, which puts it into power standby. It's boring, but I don't like distractions when I'm ranting.

No warranty on the above info. Last night work ended at 2AM and I'm still half asleep this morning.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[snip]

Aha! M$ screw-ups at their extreme... included "screen-savers" appear on top of desktop, Starfield makes background go black and appears over the black background.

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

LCDs don't need screen savers!

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The screen saver is not for the LCD, it's for the user. Conservative users still need them. Similar institutions have carried on well beyond their useful lives. It took about 30 years to purge the buggy whip socket from automobiles. It will probably take me as long to get out of the habit of using the term "carriage return" on printers that don't have a carriage to return. Every new technology carries with it the excess baggage from the preceding technology.

The most useful function of the screen blanker is to reduce user anxiety. By putting something moving on the screen users are assured that the computah is still functioning and hasn't died. When I look at a blank screen, I really do wonder whether something has blown up or is hung. However, I prefer the screen to be black so that I can get some sleep while sitting at my desk. Can't win.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Aren't there drugs for that?

Yes, but drugs have side effects and a rather high cost. There are also legal implications should the drug of choice be incinerating or ingesting some controlled substance.

On the other foot, screen savers are non-addictive, have no known side effects, do not require a doctors prescription, are not on the DEA list of proscribed substances, and are either economical or free.

However, if conventional screen savers do not produce the desired effect (reassurance that the computah is not hung), there are hypnotic and hallucinogenic screen savers that can probably convince the user of anything: However, I would avoid screen savers that are designed to make one loose their lunch: I just tried the installer version. Really nice and even better with drugs.