Ping James Arthur

 Sad news. Our friend Jim Palavu (sp) at the GW swapmeet passed away on Dec
 15th. His daughter is arranging the details for him to be buried in Kansas
. And Harry disappeared for a few months and we thought something had happe
ned to him but Doc managed to get a phone call through and Harry is OK. He
just got tired of driving from 29 palms to Huntington Beach and back. And s
o life goes on.

Re: Ping James Arthur
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 8:13:40 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot
e:
c 15th. His daughter is arranging the details for him to be buried in Kansa
s. And Harry disappeared for a few months and we thought something had happ
ened to him but Doc managed to get a phone call through and Harry is OK. He
 just got tired of driving from 29 palms to Huntington Beach and back. And
so life goes on.

That's a shame.  He was a crusty ol' character.

Who's going to help his daughter clearing all that ham & test equipment out
 from his house?  He had enough high-end gear to stock eBay for months.  Ma
chine tools, too.

I recall Jim's loop antenna mania way back--he made some damn fine HF magne
tic loops.

Thanks for telling me.

I lost my friend Ed from GW in May--you might remember him from GW as well.
 Sorely missed.

James

Re: Ping James Arthur

:
ote:
Dec 15th. His daughter is arranging the details for him to be buried in Kan
sas. And Harry disappeared for a few months and we thought something had ha
ppened to him but Doc managed to get a phone call through and Harry is OK.
He just got tired of driving from 29 palms to Huntington Beach and back. An
d so life goes on.
ut from his house?  He had enough high-end gear to stock eBay for months.
Machine tools, too.
netic loops.
l. Sorely missed.

 Yes, Until recently, Jim was involved designing another loopstick antenna.
 I think it was about 6 feet long wound in sections with Litz wire. And he
used a criss cross winding on each section to reduce the distributed capaci
tance. I never fully understood it and am happy with my simple air-core loo
p antenna that sits on my kitchen table. I found a calculator that works ou
t the number of turns based on the dimensions. At first, I used too small o
f wire which had too much resistance and Jim gave me some heavier wire to f
ix the problem. Then, I added separators to spread the wire turns father ap
art and reduce the capacitance further. Jim measured the Q of my antenna wh
ich came out to 300 at the low end of the AM band and 200 at the high end.
He had a fancy Q meter to measure Qs of antenna loops.

Don't know what his daughter will do with the house. She might live in it.
One of his neighbors (Fred) sells stuff on Ebay, but he didn't seem interes
ted in selling Jim's collections. I had some good luck a few months ago. So
meone wanted a 60 drawer parts cabinet and a couple bags of parts and asked
 for a price. So, I asked $10 for all three items and he said it was worth
more than that and gave me $20. And then, he came back the next week and sa
id he had some success using my parts and gave me another $20. First time t
hat ever happened.

Site Timeline