PING: Central Office Experts

Best is to route the call to a recording:

"Your call is important to us, please hold the line and we'll be with you shortly"

Pause...

and repeat until you detect a disconnect!

Reply to
PeterD

If you really want to punish them, engage them in conversation, and waste their time.

Once, between jobs, I got a telemarketing job, (the job interview consisted of, "Read me the ad" and I got hired on the spot.)

It was a freaking nightmare. We'd get really old lonely people who were desperate to hear any human voice, and we had to unceremoniously hang up on them.

Sound interested, engage them in conversation for as long as you can, and don't buy anything. They'll cross you off their list.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Right, and if you could automate that into an ai program that analysed the incoming conversation, you could program replies that would keep them on the hook for hours. You only need a short dictionary of words to recognise, then voice synthesise appropriate sentences in reply.

Caller: You have won a cruise to Computer: That's very exciting, please tell me more

There's most likely open source voice recognition / speech stuff on sourceforge or similar. Would make an interesting project :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Getting hairier and hairier by the minute ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Well, it is Sunday and once are fed and you've read the paper, the mind starts looking for something to work on :-).

The internals from an old tape cassette answering machine might be a good start. Don't know about the US, but for Europe, anything connected to the phone line must be approved. The usual scenario is an optoisolator or clare reed relay for ring detect, a tiny isolation transformer for the audio and isolation barrier milled in the pc. Most of the work done for if you have one in the junk box. Just cut the required section out of the pcb with tin snips and bin the rest...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I've been thinking opto-isolator for ring detect, but tell me about the "Clare relay" approach. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The incoming ring voltage (~70v ac, 17Hz uk ?) is fed via an isolation cap into an encapsulated bridge, with a smoothing cap at the other side, then into the reed relay. The input cap isolates the relay from the 50v onhook voltage, thus filtering ring signal only. A second relay is used to drive the line offhook, once ring detect has been processed. Fwir, the transformer is a specially wound item so as not to saturate with a large dc content.

Others may have a better / more complete explanation. I last worked on this sort of thing (modem project) in 1993 and that used optoisolators and low power mosfets for all the switching...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

The old neon lamp and photocell was simpler. These days I would use a phototransistor, or photodarlington with the neon lamp.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I vaguely recall an LED/CdS combo... fast attack, slo-o-o-ow decay... might be perfect. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I've done this many times... If male I'll ask for a female, if female I'll have a great time at her expense. Men don't get off if they don't have a woman to talk to me--I'll keep 'em on the line for as long as possible.

Great stories can be made up, how one intends to dominate the world, how men from Mars are taking over, and what tin foil makes the best hats.

Surveys? Easy, I always start out with "I take Master Card, Visa and DIscover, which card do you intend to use today?" They reply "Oh this survey is free, you don't have to pay" and I'll come back with "No, you have to pay for my time..."

I've had afew of these fools who stuck around for quite a while trying to convince me I should answer their questions.

I also will agree to answer questions if they will agree to answer the same number of questions from me.

Reply to
PeterD

Phone call to the corner druggist: "Do you have Prince Albert in the can?

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

And for the local bowling ally: Do you have 20 pound balls?

Reply to
JW

None of the young bucks around here will understand that one ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Then you better let him out!"

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"It's no wonder that you walk so funny!"

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

for

You know what you call Prince Albert in the can?

Project box ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This is the power company. There have been outages in your area, is your refrigerator running? ... ... ... Then you'd better go catch it!

Reply to
Oppie

"Is your refrigerator running?"

;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

for

Constipated! ;-)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

mall

phones for

Pipe tobacco ??

I don't think Prince Albert was ever a chew.

Ever smoke a Wheeling Twist ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature