Piezoresistive Force Sensors

Anyone here worked with Piezoresistive Force Sensors?

I can't seem to find much beyond really vague "specifications".

To me it would appear that there's substantial capacitance as well?

Any pointers?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Maybe ask these guys? The specs are complete AFAICT.

There is capacitance in every component but that is by far not a dominant effect in piezoresistive devices. With piezo transducers that is very different, those are the devices I usually have to deal with.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Joerg!

I'm operating somewhat by remote control... client in NZ, complains of "noisy" behavior.

FlexiForce elements on the way for me to test. ...Jim Thompson

No pointers, but a mini-rant.

It looks like Joerg pointed you the right way, but in my experience there's a lot of non-semiconductor parts, particularly things that have been around for decades, that come very poorly documented. With some of these things (LVDTs) it seems like the company has basically lost all ability to actually understand what they have; they just know how to build stuff.

I'd like to see things brought into line by making the data sheets for non-semiconductor electromechanical bits getting better, but instead I see data sheets for semiconductors get worse.

Oh joy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

More info on the noise aspect:

But hard to say from the distance what setup they are using. Hopefully the noise ain't any rumblings inside the earth ...

No kidding. Once we had noise only to find out it happened exactly per schedule of the electric buses on a large street nearby.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

My worst "hair-tearer" was a building whose metal studs made my lab "hot" with a local FM station ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Oh joy, indeed! ...Jim Thompson

Am I correct in roughly estimating that resistance is inversely proportional to force? ...Jim Thompson

They have a graph in here showing how close it can be:

When distant clients mention noise issues I usually ask them for lots of raw data that I can then pull through the wringer here. Including FFTs on it. That has resulted in some eye-popping discoveries. "Where the heck does 12 Hertz come from? Can't be. Impossible. Must be a fluke. Oh ... oh wait ... DANG!"

Just came off a long conference call. Those are really fun when you have a throbbing toothache.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's easy... I'm recovering from having a portion of my colon cut out :-( ...Jim Thompson

Ouch. I prefer losing my molar over than one. Hopefully you don't have to wear a bag. Or at least not for long.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Had a catheter bag until last Friday, and an incision drain until yesterday... but not the nasty colostomy bag.

I had an "enterovesical fistula with pneumaturia". That means I had a leak between colon and bladder so I "passed gas" (and other undesirable material) thru the wrong port :-(

I'm fine now, though still a little run down. ...Jim Thompson

I've used these from trosson robotics, they,re pretty linear, but watch out, others aren't.

sdy

That has been going on since at least the '70s if not earlier...

Reply to
Robert Baer