PIC16C84 Crack - Circuit Cellar

"The more interesting debate was in Circuit Cellar, about microcode safety. A really good read. Is it really possible to crack the PIC (16C84) so easily? Scary."

The above was posted in another thread, would somebody be kind enough to let me know the jist of the article please. Is Circuit Cellar an american magazine?

Reply to
Mark

Yes.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

It's a magazine (a spinoff, a long time ago, from Byte Magazine), but that sounds like something on one of their web site's discussion forums. .

As I remember the same sort of stuff here on the newsgroups, there was a overvoltage pulse sequence that could reset or burn out the protection fuse so that the contents could be read out. Not a 100 percent thing, but it worked frequently enough to be useful.

A lot of that stuff came from the people cracking the Satellite TV subscription cards in the UK and Western Europe. Or the people cracking the cracks.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Discontinued. The 16F84 is also a poor choice, because more recent parts are both cheaper and better. Yet so many hobby projects were written using the older parts it continues to be mentioned.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany