PIC scope test1

This is the maximum aquisition speed I can get out of a PIC 18F14K22,

10 kHz sinewave: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/PIC_18F14K22_scope_10kHz_img_1876.jpg

Not bad at all, if you realise it is 127 dots for about 5 periods. With 100 uS per period the display width is about 500 uS, that makes 500 uS / 127 = 3.9, say 4 uS per sample, or 250 kHz from the ADC.

Trigger is rock solid too :-) Input is line level audio.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I did a similar thing with a 18F2450 except that I streamed the samples to a PC via USB, at 64k samples per second. So I have unlimited storage =P

Reply to
GiveMeL

Hello Jan,

Looking at your PIC scope I can't help but remember Dr Johnson's comment to Boswell on women preaching:

Johnson: "Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

Jan - why a PIC ?

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:40:11 -0700 (PDT)) it happened GiveMeL wrote in :

Yes, unlimited storage is a nice feature. But I am not really an USB enthusiast. One thing I would like for my PIC scope is isolation from ground. Important for very small signals, and also when measuring on things that carry some volts.

So I was thinking of using ethernet and sending UDP packets. Packet loss on LAN is not that likely, so UDP would do. Would take an extra chip, and not sure if I have enough memory to construct an UDP packet. And I find writing ethernet based programs on the PC in Linux much easier then using lib USB and writing USB drivers. Also it means the PIC scope system can be accessed remotely, when the PC is off. The advantage of USB is the 5 V, but already a lot hangs on the USB here. Walwarts are only about 5$.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:12:12 -0000) it happened "MK" wrote in :

I wrote the graphics controller code, x, y plot for this LCD in PIC 18 ASM. The PIC has an ADC, why not try scope? Have 3 free input pins :-) Took only an hour to program the scope routine.

I also have a Spartan2 connected to a 30 MHz video ADC, uses internal RAM and has a serial and UDP interface, but it has a character display :-) I could hang the graphics LCD with PIC on its serial out too.

PIC scope code is just a library building block, like the graphics code. PIC is more powerful then you think, runs 64 MHz clock, 18F has some nice instructions to move data in RAM. Just fun to do some asm.

And I can think of many applications that will have no problem, hoe about a live mains waveform monitor? Mains spike detector? Hart beat display? Not all has to be GHz for it to be useful you know, on the contrary!

And PIC is cheap, easy to program, available everywhere, seems reliable too. No I do not work for Microchip :-) And hold no Microchip shares.

Oh, and PIC uses extremely extremely and I repeat EXTREMELY little power.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Cool. The first PC scope I did was an IBM 1401 with the waveform plotted on a line printer. Home-made ADC.

John

Hello Jan - Don't mind my sense of humour - I appreciate your initial posting and comments.

I've never really liked the PIC route - some prejudice some logic, just for comparison I'm working on a design with an STM32F ARM from their new "Value" line - 24MHz (equiv to 96MHz PIC clock), 12 bit ADC, 16k Flash, 4k RAM, 32 bit registers $0.85 (or £0.50 in our money), low power too.

If I get time one day I'll try to replicate your scope.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:07:19 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, I did fft display on a printer..... Like this:

********** 1000 ******** 1010 *********** 1020 *** 1030 ...

I only made a home made ADC for video in 1979, it was a board full of TTL and 74121 one shots.

6 bits, but it worked, nice picture. Then somebody walked in and dropped a datasheet for a chip on my desk that did the same thing, but then 8 bits, a 'flash' converter. Too many comparators needed :-)
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ct

something like this has build in memory:

/en/DeviceDoc/39662c.pdf

then

get something like this and you have a usb serial port and +5V

-ND

and you can access it either as a serialport or directly

is off.

re.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Jan Panteltje a écrit :

You don't need a PIC to do that. That is, unless you want to impress customers...

All that's needed is a gold leaf electroscope, a protractor, a switch and a stopwatch, or if you want to get fancy a synchronized rotary switch.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:36:38 +0100) it happened Fred Bartoli wrote in :

Sure, do you watch TV with a Nipkov disk too? LOL :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje a écrit :

For what I watch it, I sure could do...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

the ADC.

converter.

Sounds about the time the CDP3308(?) came out.

Reply to
JosephKK