Photon statistics

So my colleague was off seeing a diamond nitrogen vacancies lab,

(I haven't read it...) At the single photon end, you can use a confocal microscope, (with pin hole) to watch one atom, and see that there is 'dead spot' for ~10-20 ns(?) (as the atom/vacancy get's re-pumped by the light source.)

That seems like a lot of work/expense to find a non-ideal source, and we got to talking about photon statistics.

You've got Hanbury Brown, which I tried to measure once, but made an error in my set-up.. maybe again some day, but it's damn hard to see 'photon bunching'... (George thinks about a rubidium lamp, pin hole and single photon detector...? and various filters.)

Anyway I was thinking of non-ideal light sources, Non-ideal, but fundamental.. not just a noisy laser. (or clouds going in front of the sun.) There are these labs that use a moving diffusior and laser speckle pattern to make noise.. but it's sorta man made. (you can change the diffusor speed, which changes the noise spectrum, so at least it has a knob.)

I once looked at the noise of a diode laser right near threshold; it looked noisier, but it was dang tweaky to keep the laser 'near' ... some FB loop that looked at the noise?

Other ideas?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You can make anticorrelated shot noise by wiring two very efficient LEDs (or maybe diode lasers) in parallel and running them off a sub-Poissonian current source.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I supose you need to colect all or most of the light from each LED. Easier with lasers...

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You can plot the anticorrelations even with quite a bit of loss.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's an interesting and somewhat subtle question. At bottom a photon is an elementary excitation of the EM field with certain boundary conditions--in other words, it's not a thing, it's a property of something else.

However, like drops from a faucet, you can count them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

According to a reliable source, there is no such thing as a photon.

Robert Baer

There are no things. Just processes. I suppose they take place in a thing, so yeah, there's one thing. Just one.

Reply to
Clifford Heath