Photon counting for the masses

Photon counting for the masses.

Last Friday on SEB someone asked about the reverse bias voltages for LEDs. So I thought I=92d try and measure it. It turned out to be very interesting. The red LEDs that I pulled out of a drawer are (I think) GaP (Newark #01H9629) from AND optoelectronics. (AND114-R) (I reported a different part number Friday, but that appears to be a mistake.) When reversed biased near 24 V they show big (~100-500mV) RC =91spikes=92 that remind me of low power ~20 Zeners. When biased just below the =91avalanche knee=92 the RC spikes are photo sensitive, with a rate that looks proportional to the light intensity. They show every indication of responding to individual photons, albeit at an extremely low efficiency. (I don=92t know of another photon counting system that can operate in room light levels.) So I=92m wondering if anyone has heard of such behavior? I tried some other leds and none show the effect. Is GaP =91special=92 in some way? If anyone wants a couple of these LEDs to look at drop me an email with name and address and I=92ll stick a few in the mail.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ome

The absolute maximum rating for reverse bias for these parts is 5V. Could you have damaged the LED by driving it to 24V reverse bias? Could this damage account for the behavior you see, or do you see the same thing with LEDs right off the bat?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

at

some

y?

Yup, right away... I've got 100k ohm in series with the diode and monitor the voltage across the resistor. (so not that much power to hurt the LED). I was counting "room light" photons all day Friday. Count was fairly stable at 4.5 kHz, for several hours. I tried different LEDs from the same batch.. same thing (slightly different Vr)

I don't 'get' the 5 volt number. I tried some other LEDs and couldn't get them to break down at 50 volts! (that was the limit of the PS I had on hand.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yup, right away... I've got 100k ohm in series with the diode and monitor the voltage across the resistor. (so not that much power to hurt the LED). I was counting "room light" photons all day Friday. Count was fairly stable at 4.5 kHz, for several hours. I tried different LEDs from the same batch.. same thing (slightly different Vr)

I don't 'get' the 5 volt number. I tried some other LEDs and couldn't get them to break down at 50 volts! (that was the limit of the PS I had on hand.)

George H. ________________________________-

Do you have access to a curve tracer? If not, you can send me a few and I'll put them on my 577.

TM

Reply to
tm

I'm not sure you're counting single photons, especially if you're using room light. It could be some other effect.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I can't reproduce your photon findings with a red LED I have here. I detect no reverse current through the LED at 50V reverse bias with the scope set on 20mV/div. There is some noise present, but nothing like you describe.

What sweep rate and vertical sensitivity are you using? Digital or analog scope?

John S

Reply to
John S

ages

at

ied some

y?

Hi John, Digital scope, here are some =91scope shots.

24.3 V reverse bias x10 scope probe across 100k ohm series resistor. (C probe ~16pF RC time is mostly 100k ohm and probe)

This first is with 1 second persistence

Here=92s a shot of one pulse

And the same thing with 1 sec persistence again

I think you need a GaP LED to see this. I saw nothing on the other LEDs that I tried. Send me an address and I=92ll stick a few in the mail.

George H.

I was just reading that GaP is an indirect semiconductor, and it's doped with something to use it as an LED.

Reply to
George Herold

h a

?

'll

Thanks TM, no curve tracer here. But I can do an I-V 'by hand'. Does a curve tracer tell me anything else?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

some

?

Seems weird to me too! The count rate is linear with the intensity. (as well as I can measure it.) So what else could it be?

Want a few? (It's best to see things for yourself) I do wish someone else would dig up a GaP LED and try.

George H.

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

Ok. My LEDs just are not worthy. But, I'll leave the research to you. Thanks for the offer.

Still, interesting to note that 50V isn't enough to cause reverse current. Thanks for that tidbit.

John S

Reply to
John S

Well, okay, I relent. I'll try to verify your findings.

Send to:

John Smith

1717 Laurel Ln Plano, Tx 75074
Reply to
John S

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:07:11 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Seems like those diodes that have 'geiger' mode, those breakdown when biased just below some voltage when hit by radiation. Does it also do that with a Thorium or other radioactive source as trigger? And those dides are very expensive, so hold on to those LEDs :-) What is the null (dark) affect, background radiation + cosmic pulses?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Why do you have negative-going spikes? What does your schematic look like?

John S

Reply to
John S

oltages

out

RC

ust

h a

ry

that

tried some

way?

ou

?

Oh, well I was sending them into a little amp I have... to go on into a counter (50 ohm Z in). And the amp is inverting, the counter wants postive going pulses... the supply is floating, and I just have polarities switched around to make it come out the 'right' way in the end.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

r?

Hi Jan, I don't have any radioactive sources lying around.

In the dark I see no pulses. (Room lights off a little black foam thing over the LED)

Expensive? I think they cost us $0.07 each.

George H.

Hey I found this paper which at least talks about optical gain in GaP LEDs.

Maybe I should search for "Geiger mode"

George Herold

ges

out

ust

h a

ry

that

ed some

way?

OK some are in the mail. (The one with the 100k ohm resistor attached made the pics I posted... guaranteed to work.)

George

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks. I'll try to duplicate your findings.

John S

Reply to
John S

ages

at

ied some

y?

The data sheet says it's a 700nm GaP device. Somewhere one should be able to find more technical data on GaP red LEDs: a cross section, what substrate it's grown on, lattice mismatch if any, and a bunch more stuff

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Thanks TM, no curve tracer here. But I can do an I-V 'by hand'. Does a curve tracer tell me anything else?

George H.

_______________________-

For a diode, no. Just easier to control the voltage and current. That plus I can go to 1600 volts.

Also, it will show all four quadrants in one display.

FWIW.

TM

Reply to
tm

Eyes are said to be able to detect single photons. It's enormously egalitarian that most of the masses have 2 of them. :)

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso