Photodiode placement

Hi,

I am trying to figure out at what distance and angle should I place Light dependent resistors from each other to track the sun.

For example, I saw the following products on amazon and ebay

The sensors are placed on the same pcb. I want to place one sensor in east and the other in west so what should be distance between them at what angle. How should I calculate it?

Erica

Reply to
erica.cross1989

42 inches.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

*

Martin Riddle

Why 42 inches?

Reply to
erica.cross1989

The links that I mention in my OP does not look like that the sensors are 42 inches apart.

Reply to
erica.cross1989

Typically, one arranges a shadow that falls equally on two light dependent resistors (LDR) when the panel points at the sun, and which shades one LDR when the aim is east of the sun, and shades the other LDR when it is west.

The shadow-mask is what determines the LDR positioning. The shadow's edge is a gray zone about 1/2 degree wide, that little bit of spread of the edge might be important.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sorry it was a joke. 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sno-o-o-ort >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Really!! everything. I hope not the number of men you mother slept with

Reply to
erica.cross1989

Yeah guess I deserved that. I was on a bit of a high last night. My mom has alzheimers, and we've finally gotten her some in home care... she was very resistant for the longest time.

But she was quite a looker in her day, at age 80, a few years ago, she still had

3-4 boy friends. I don't know if she was sleeping with all of them or not. (Not really my business.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

f spread of the edge might be important.

Would please explain this in little more detail? What I understood is as fo llows

Let's say that the solar panel is facing the sun rising from the east and there is an equal amount of shadow casting on the light sensors. So, the vo ltage generated by the sensors will be equal. Panel will not move. Now, whe n the sun moves one of the LDR will get more light ( on the west side) and less shadow on the LDR facing east side. So, the panel rotates towards west until both LDRs get the same shadow again. Am I right?

In the following link, I do not see any shadow casting object.

erica.cross1989

ooooOOOOoooo! So now we know that you are not only uneducated, we know that you are a bitch or maybe a bastard with a feminine nym.

If you are not a troll, go get some education so that you can make rudimentary calculations and decisions on your own. Then come back, apologize, and ask your questions.

Reply to
John S

Whit, she (the troll) has no technical idea of what she is doing. She needs to be on different group where she will not disrupt our political (and other off-topic) rantings.

Reply to
John S

John, You do not need to answer you son of a bitch. I am educated or not educated, it should not be your problem , you stupid f*ck. It seems like you got some education and its very difficult for you to deal with it.

Reply to
erica.cross1989

Your replies answers all the questions. You are a troll and are disrupting the group with inane, stupid, uneducated, and now, offensive and disrespectful posts. It is a game to you. I think (because of your language) that you are the AlwaysWrong (DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno) s*****ad that pervades this group. Now try to get a helpful response, asshole. And, while you are at it, quit trying to put your nose in my ass.

Reply to
John S

It looks like that item uses solar cells and attempts to balance the light in all four. The tilting of flat receptors causes them to intercept less light (the edge-on view of the receptors is a smaller reception area than the full-face view), so it should balance when all the cells are at the same angle to the sun's direction (which happens when the axis is pointed at the sun). Basically, this depends on symmetry but any angle (45 degrees, 20 degrees, 60 degrees) could work.

I assumed printed-circuit mounting of light-dependent resistors, so they'd all point the same direction, and also some field-of-view limiting (like venetian blinds, you want to be sensitive to the sky and not all the movement of nearby objects). Under those conditions, you'd get orientation by casting a shadow onto your sensors.

Tilt sensitivity maxes the signal at 0 degrees, minimums at 90 degrees, while shadow-cast can fully imbalance the sensor pair at 3 degrees with the right geometry.

Reply to
whit3rd

May I remind you that you made the mistake of sending me email when you started your tracker project, which clearly identified who you really are. I haven't used this information in the apparently futile hope that you would clean up your act. You've been working on this project for at least 1 month, with no apparent progress. I don't believe that it will be necessary to complain to your school as you are already floundering and will probably fail to produce anything that works. You're not going to learn anything by having someone else do your work for you. You only learn by doing it yourself.

When you insult those that are trying to help you, you are forgetting that nobody answers your questions without expecting something in return. In my case, like to see if my answers are doing any good, and whether you have learned anything new. That's apparently not happening because your questions show a serious lack of understanding. A simple "thank you" is not sufficient to determine if you understand the answers and suggestions. Lying to those trying to help will only make things worse.

I'll do you a disservice by answering your question. I don't expect it will do you much damage or much good.

The common 5mm (T1-3/4) LED used in some single-axis 4 LED eBay trackers have a beam width of about 90 degrees. In order to track the sun, two LED's need to see the sun at the same time. In order to cover the visible sky (180 degrees), you need: 180 / 90 = 2 pairs of LED's It can also be done with only 2 LED's if you use LED's with 120 to 180 degree beam width: For dual axis, just double the number of LED's and drive electronics.

In the past month, several people have suggested that you ask your questions in a beginners newsgroup or forum. I suggest you reconsider their suggestions.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com