Peculiar type of audiophool

Vintage synthesizer aficionados are a peculiar subculture of the regular fashion of audiophools.

You'd think owning a $8000 40 year old collectors-item synthesizer would be enough, but they also have to insist that absolutely _nothing_ could ever _sound_ like it.

Meanwhile Behringer is coming out with a bunch of recreations of vintage equipment, along with the CEM chips.

The CEM chips will be made using the same masks, on the same process as the originals. But no, they won't have that "magic." They'll sound "cold and sterile."

The Minimoog clone, built with SMT versions of the same op-amps and transistors in the original following the same schematics, will be a "cheap, tinny-sounding Chinese toy."

Behringer doesn't have the magic dust.

Reply to
bitrex

C'mon. Share the reviews or opinion pieces or whatever.

If I could just jack my copywriting and schmoozing skills up a bit, and my ethics down, I could make a mint in audio equipment.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Den fredag den 31. marts 2017 kl. 23.47.42 UTC+2 skrev bitrex:

isn't most musicians like that?, everything "vintage" have some magic property

cyclist seem to be the opposite, the new model that 0.01% stiffer and 2 grams lighter is just sooo must better than last years model

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The thing's not even out yet, and already the vintage fanbois are declaring it garbage:

Looks pretty nice to me. SMT versions of the crusty old op amps made on modern process and film resistors instead of old carbon comp through hole "barrel" types probably have lower noise, too.

It'll likely sound better. Er I mean, not "warm."

Reply to
bitrex

They swapped out the LM7xxxs for a boost converter! It won't sound right!

Reply to
bitrex

I'll make my "If you can identify your Model D vs the copy in a blind test correctly 8 out of 10 times I'll buy you the copy. If you can't, I take home the Model D."

Guarantee I will have no takers

Reply to
bitrex

Oh, well, I've read the article about why double-blind testing is total crap. So of course you won't get any takers.

(It's about why really poorly executed double-blind testing is crap compared to well-executed "take it home and get used to it" testing, btw

-- love those straw-man arguments.)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Oh the horror!

My gawd!

Thus entirely destroying the character.

Cold and sterile. No doubt!

If it doesn't have genuine paper capacitors that have been rolled on the thighs of virgins dipped in LN2* then it just won't sound good.

  • Clarification -- the _caps_ should be cryogenically treated. Not the virgins.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott
[snip]
[snip]

Cold as a witch's... ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I misspoke. I've had one Internet-taker so far, claims he's willing to wager on getting it right 10 of 10 times.

"Anyone who thinks it will sound anything alike is just telling themselves that because they're poor."

Reply to
bitrex

That is because the didn't use virgin Silicon. They used recycled Silicon from old chips that homeopathic imprints of previous use.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Cold as a Liberal's mind?

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, I don't really want any of that stuff in my chips the way they make it these days, I hear it's full of impurities. Dirty low-class hussy silicon.

I only want the pure, virgin stuff.

Reply to
bitrex

That's the prototype for a $400 unit? To me it looks like a lot of pots/ switches and connectors for $400. But maybe they'll make it up in volume. (We can barely sell a little plastic box, two pots/ switch. a few IC's for $400.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Of course things sounded better 30 years ago. They are nostalgic for the days before they ruined their hearing.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, seems there isn't much difference between them.

Even looks like Nancy's twin.

Reply to
krw

Well, yours does have a plastic box and probably knobs for the pots...

When I was a kid I was pretty good at estimating the cost of audio gear. I'd go into the stores and surprise the sales people with my knowledge of the industry ($20 per knob).

Reply to
krw

Before they listened to Nancy, Hillary, Chucky, and Bernie 24x7.

Reply to
krw