Pease turkey DAC?

Many years ago I read a Pease column in which he told the story of a client who was trying to design a DAC for the video display of an A4 or A6 aircraft. He had to do environmental testing but it wouldn't fit in the chamber, so he put it in a turkey roasting bag and did it in a regular oven.

It was a neat one, but I have never been able to find that column online. Of course I remember it every year at Thanksgiving.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

When I was fresh out of school an old timey engineer taught me a trick I remember every time I do a temperature test. He said (and I believe it is true) that more environmental tests cause failures not because of the temperature extremes themselves, but the rapidity with which we impose them.

Nothing wrong, he said, to let the temperature come UP or DOWN over the space of a couple of DAYS, but to go from the full hot test and then blow liquid CO2 into the chamber is sure to crack something.

Best thermal chamber I've ever used came from Sam's Club. They call it a beer cooler. Any size you want. Temperature UP comes from a 25 watt oven bulb. Temperature DOWN comes from a relatively small sealed package of dry ice sitting on a wooden platform above the DUT. Sensor is a small 1N4148 soldered to a solder lug and bolted to the chassis of the DUT.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

nt

en.

A turkey DAC, do you eat it at thanksgiving.

Reply to
HardySpicer

The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course.

Reply to
John S

That's what RAP called it. I wish I could find that article before next Thanksgiving.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

What have you designed, turkey?

Michael A. Terrell

You wouldn't understand them.

Reply to
John S

Ya know, Michael, one of my problems here is that I frequently fail to add a smiley face to my comments. It appears to be a more serious thing than I originally imagined. I'll try harder. :)

Reply to
John S

Then you wouldn't, either.

Michael A. Terrell

Why do ignorant leftists hate me so? Do I say anything untrue about ignorant leftists ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

ient

the

oven.

e.

Stick the skewers in the right places, you might just get a few bit resolution.

NT

Reply to
NT