PDF Alternatives? (again!)

ALL I NEED IS:

1) Combine multiple JPGs into a single PDF file, and 2) Attach all PDF pages (from a PDF file) to the end of another PDF documen t.

What is "out there" in the way of freeware, shareware (or even something pa id, but not at Adobe's outrageous prices) that can get this done?

Thanks!!

BTW: This is for one of our interns. I have Adobe Acrobat X (three paid l icenses), and it's a wonderful solution. But those licenses are in use. I t was $500 at the time, and I see now that Adobe has since moved to a subsc ription-based service @14/mo and it's not clear it will do the job.

There has to be a cheaper way to get this simple task done! We need this capability about 100 times a year, or so - for a special repor t format (don't ask). :)

Note: I wouldn't mind having the capability of making PDF forms too, but r eally all I need is #1 and #2 above. Again, thanks!!! -mpm

Reply to
mpm

Take a look at Foxit Software. You might end up with the paid Foxit Phantom version.

Good luck.

Reply to
John S

1) Photoshop or Libreoffice or even MS Word? 2) Adolix Split and Merge (very simple but limited)

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

I use Word and then Foxit to print to a PDF.

Word is fine if you turn off most of its "features."

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Linux, imagemagic package: From:

convert image1.jpg image2.png text.txt PDFfile.pdf outputFileName.pdf free

10 seconds google

Works

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

I use Irfanview for such things: Be sure to also install the plugins.

For merging PDF files or images: Lots of other instructions and videos available online. Search for:

Example of merging 3 JPG's -> 1 PDF

You can also get fancy. Try: Image -> Create Tiled Image and then save it as a PDF.

I think it's Freeware but might be Shareware.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have used the command line tool pdftk for many years.

nobody

ent.

paid, but not at Adobe's outrageous prices) that can get this done?

licenses), and it's a wonderful solution. But those licenses are in use. It was $500 at the time, and I see now that Adobe has since moved to a sub scription-based service @14/mo and it's not clear it will do the job.

ort format (don't ask). :)

really all I need is #1 and #2 above. Again, thanks!!! -mpm

I did a bit of experimenting and found Libre Office can do the job if you d on't mind working with drawing files. It seems if you try to open a PDF fi le in LibreOffice it opens it as a drawing capable of manipulating individu al components, text and lines. That part is pretty cool, reverse printing PDF files is something I've wanted for a long time.

So you can open the PDF file then bring in all the JPEGs and finally print it all out as a single PDF file. I think I would import the JPEGs into the main document rather than grouping them first.

Good Luck,

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I just tried the Windoze version of PDFtk v2.02 (free). It works well for requirement 2 (merging two or more PDF's) and is much easier to use than Irfanview, which was my recommendation. However, the program only manipulates PDF files, so there is no way to do requirement 1 (conglomerate multiple JPG's into one PDF) without first converting the JPG's to PDF files.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

ument.

-windows/

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, the 2003 edition is quite usable. Later they forced the entire world to love ribbon without any option to turn it off, so I downgraded.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Indeed. Office 2003 was a particularly good vintage. There hasn't been one to compare since. x7 was particularly unlucky and x13 OK if you like that sort of thing. It was great to watch the productivity enhancements of skilled workers fighting the "ribbon". It made "clippy" look benign!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Word and then print to PDF if you don't care about the mess of junk metadata that ends up being embedded in the final file.

If you want a reasonably capable PDF editor then I found PDF-Xchange fairly capable after a couple of false starts. It was the only one I could find that could edit the mangled PDFs that the UK government requires some submissions to be made on (apart from full Adobe).

You might need a paid for license to do exactly what you want but it will show you what it can do with watermarks on the unpaid version.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Use LibreOffice instead. You have more good features (including excellent direct pdf support) and fewer bad features (like that absurd "ribbon"). You can generate the pdfs directly - no need for Foxit except for viewing the result. (Foxit is great, but not needed here.)

Reply to
David Brown

mpm schrieb:

"PDF24 Creator" can do this.