PD Impulse detection 1 picosecond , a better mousetrap possible?

I want to build a better Partial Discharge (PD) detector for events that of ten Oil filled Transformers. THese events are the same as ESD finger discha rges but internal to the transformer. I have measured about 2 Watt peak pul ses with < 1ns rise time and < 10ns pulse duration. Typically these are det ected with capacitive or inductive conducted current sensors or radiated in ductive sensors or antenna. Some have used optical sensors to detect the p ulse of light which I believe includes resonant bands for hydrogen and meth ane in IR and other bands in optical and UV.

My method is a loop CT aka loop antenna around the high voltage insulator t o a grounded coax cable on the outside.

Now I would like to try optical CCD or CMOS sensing of PD activity for imag e capturing of these flashes. Repetition rates are low from 1pps to 10 pps to 100 pps to 1kpps according to excitation currents and voltage and conta mination levels.

The impedance of each pulse is low (50 ohm or less) and inverse to size of discharge (pC). When done in a cup of oil with electrodes with up to 60kV t he voltage is 10V into 50 Ohms or 2 Watts but only for 10ns. But when immer sed inside 5000 liters Of transformer oil, the signal gets shunted by the s urrounding dielectric (in 3D), unless it takes a direct path to tank wall g round. Normally it is an interior conductor and hard to locate.

Doppler Imaging

1D methods.. Time of arrival using ultrasound pulse,with RF pulse and wavel ets using DSP 2D and 3D methods using multiple sensors have limited sensitivity.

Better methods?

Any experience? I am sure it is similar to Plasma Physics detectors, but no t my expertise.

background

------------ Pure oil only shows PD activity just before Breakdown thresholds, whereas contaminated oil can be drastically reduce PDIV to 50% of the breakdown spa rk voltage. It doesn't take much and since they are

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

WOW! Mind boggling. You posit quite a challenge here.

You gave so much information that thousands of questions come to mind! Are you measuring in simulated test bed? What is importance of knowing 3D location? Instead of simple fact of a PD? Who is paying for your efforts? Is your end goal, to develop an insitu monitoring system for preserving transformer life? To develop laboratory instrumentation to better develop testing methodology for understanding failure modes? Or, create a one of a kind instrument to expand your own understanding a bit?

You said discharge impedance was low approx 50 ohms. Why? Are you certain that your measuring technique is only creating the appearance of low source impedance?

Let me premise that my experience is limited to diverse electronics [EMC, RF/microwave, magnetics, camera design, etc] and developing electronics for and USING high voltage oil filled transformers, approx 200kV. Sadly, never got to the detailed level of looking at the 'subtle' failure modes. Mainly interested in GO/NO GO failure modes. Also, familiar with triboelectric effect, the bane of cable manufacturing, but used in Security Industry to create intrusion sensors. I did NOT know that effect could cause problems inside an oil insulator tank. We did find out that light getting in caused problems [rather accidently, while working late at night], which made sense with that added energy to 'seed' a discharge.

From that base, recommend using multiple sensors to cover your whole spectrum. Regarding RF/microwave, What is oil dielectric? about 0.6 speed of light?

3 cm is still 'lumped' You can use 'tiime of flight' to your receiver, [I have little experience in THAT] to determine 3D position. With single events, seems fraught with peril. 1 ns risetime and 10 ns duration in free space makes the dimensions still pretty much 'near field' for antenna, which translates to: direct coupling. With dielectric that coupling gets reduced, translate dispersion over spectrum. It is EXACTLY that dispersion which can gain you triangulation. For example, given an event has a spectral signature. Further away, the high frequencies are more attenuated. Therefore you need to only compare the 'relative' spectral content [not absolute] to determine distance from any antenna, then triangulate to locate source. I'd go for using a myriad of magnetic field sensors 'recording' the event, then determine subtle phase shifts etc to triangulate back to the location. You didn't say how accurate you need that location either?

Most of the photon sensors I'm familiar with, use a clock, which delays your reception quite a bit, but could still yield info as to 3D location, combined with 'antenna' receivers.

Perhaps, your special spectral receiver could tell you an event happened, then you could apply extreme DSP to the noisy antenna signals and pull out the event enough to triangulate to location. [For the case the receiver signals were too small to provide alarm of PD.]

There are photon multiplier tubes used to monitor the trajectories of cosmic rays releasing Cernov radiation in water filled caverns. [I believe Japan has three sites] Perhaps similar sructure of sensors?

Again, wow! the challenges of your request have me completely distracted from my work here! Well done!

Reply to
RobertMacy