PCI card design

Hi. i'm willing to design a PCI card for a pentium, in order to process 32 bits. Where can I get some information about the inner electronics of a PCI and any other thing I would need?

thanx a lot, Marcelo

Reply to
Marcelo David

One of the 'things you will need' is some idea of just what you are getting into here.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

As others have noted - it's best to use a reference design. I have used various PLX parts (they have a nice dual PCIX - Hypertransport bridge) and their references are very good.

if you want straight PCI, then it's nowadays PCI 2.2 [2.3 maybe?] (almost obsolete though). You'll need the spec and to get it, you need to buy it from the PCI sig

I concur with the comment you need to know what you are getting into. You'll have to put length match / max length controls on all your lines and meet some pretty stringent timing requirements (PCIX is the tightest). If that wasn't enough, PCI is impedance controlled to make sure it's a reflective system (PCI by definition is not terminated except into PCI devices). If you are not experienced in this arena, I suggest you step back and see if you really need to do it. If yes, then start by making sure your design tools can handle the design rules so you'll get DRC errors if the requirements (which you will have to enter) are violated.

That's only the start - there's a lot more to it. If you are getting the idea we're cautioning you - you're right :)

Cheers PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

PCI isn't easy, but if you're up to it, I'd start here (watch the split):

|TM&sub_section=Book%

20and%20E-Book

and

  Keith
Reply to
Keith Williams

I really need the inner electronics...

Reply to
Marcelo David

Don't go for the 'inner electronics' unless you REALLY need it. Get a reference design from PLX and work from there.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Xilinx has some good app notes on PCI in FPGAs that contain good general PCI information, especially with regard to the timing-critical stuff.

PS: To avoid having links split across lines, enclose them in :

Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey