PCBs are now free.

Just got in 10 pieces each of two boards.

120 x 100 mm, 4 layer, 6/6 rules 40-mm OD, crescent-shaped daughterboard

Both with HASL SnPb, 1-oz Cu, white silk on blue mask

2 stainless steel stencils, stretch-mounted with white epoxy on seriously beefy welded aluminum frames, 300x400 mm

48-hour turn specified

Ordered Thursday afternoon, passed inspection early Friday, shipped Saturday, arrived Monday. Responsive customer service reps who speak good English.

$358 total. Just the unmounted stencils would cost that onshore.

Incremental board cost for 120x100 mm: about 3 bucks each qty 10->qty 50

Amazing.

PCBWay.com.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Phil, I never used them so I have no idea, but watch out for a bait and switch.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks, George. This is our second order from them, and both times the boards came out beautifully. YMMV of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hardly "free" though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Less than half the price of the last place we used.

Besides, I'm an astronomer. I don't do significant figures. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I just checked their price for five pieces of 125x125 mm 2-sided board such as I recently ordered from

for about $175 with shipping from Chicago. The PCBway price for 2-3 day turn was $33 and DHL shipping 3-5 days $21 ($54).

I have sometimes ordered from

They now have a lower cost option (IPC class 1) with less stringent specs and no tooling cost. A similar board from them was quoted at $51.25, but I don't know if that includes shipping.

Of course, I would rather support a US company, but it's hard to justify paying $100 more or three times the price, especially when my work is mostly hobbyist grade or for simple and non-critical industrial applications. Although I like getting the "most bang for my buck", I wouldn't mind paying some sort of tax on foreign purchases to help make domestic products and services more competitive.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

I'm sure your government will accept donations. You could just write another cheque to the IRS whenever you order something foreign. A better option might be for your government to give tax breaks and more sensible regulation for on-shore manufacturers.

Reply to
Chris Jones

What leftists mean whey they say such moronic things is that they want

*you* to pay more for X. Leftists don't give a damn about the forgotten man.
Reply to
krw

I object to classifying people as "leftists" and not-leftists. There are multiple issues in politics and it is unhelpful and often incorrect to assume that a person't views on one topic are correlated with their views on a different topic.

Reply to
Chris Jones

I guess that is cheap. 9 of each board from OSH Park would cost $632.27592 if I did the calcs right and no stencils. Plus you have to be happy with that funky purple color of the solder mask.

I think this order would qualify for "medium run" service, but I'm not clear on how to calculate the cost. The Prototype service is $10 a square inch for 3 boards. The medium run service might be $2 per square inch for one of each board which would be $6 per sq in for 3 boards to compare to the Prototype service. Then OSH Park is closer to your price. Unless they mean $2 per sq in for 3 boards would be really cheap. Still no stencils and 4 week turn. The specs on the boards are a little better than what you need with 5/5 design rules and 10 mil drill with 18 mil pads, ENIG gold finish. My assembly house likes the gold *a lot*.

--

Rick C
Reply to

They're okay, not the best but far from the worst. I met with them last week but didn't get a chance to visit either of their factories yet.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You know you're a leftist when you make excuses for leftists.

Reply to
krw

That's fallacious, and besides that it isn't relevant to the point that was made. Consider someone that "makes excuses" for both leftists and rightists, as and where appropriate.

I was under the impression that the US was a place where people were /proud/ to be say "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it".

How the mighty have fallen :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You're about 50 years out of date, more's the pity. It was once like that. Quick, somebody start Radio Free USA.

You said it.

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den fredag den 21. oktober 2016 kl. 19.17.29 UTC+2 skrev Phil Hobbs:

I kinda like this guy

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

:)

When I was young, Radio Free Europe was a CIA-funded front for anti-communist propaganda. Oops, I see it still is, even if it has been rebranded as Radio Liberty.

But instead you'll get TrumpTV, which presumably will be in direct competition with Fox Noose. Perhaps that's why the media is in "a great conspiracy" to prevent him becoming president - by reporting what he said and then partially retracted.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You think communism was a good thing, then? Before the 1930s, 'propaganda' just meant "information to be disseminated", not "lies".

Personally what I miss about the Cold War was that most of the commies were overseas.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not in the slightest. Please don't try to lecture me about communism; I've far more direct personal experience of it than you (I hope and expect)

I have a family friend who had to crawl /under/ the iron curtain, from Czechoslovakia to Austria, and then spend several months interned before he could remarry his wife and see his children again (they divorced, so the wife/kids could get to the UK).

I've been through the border between East and West Germany

6 times; I know how tense and fraught it was, and I know what East Berlin was like.

The last time I was in Berlin was less than a week after the wall came down. The atmosphere was strange, strange, strange; I suspect like at the end of WW2.

I stood where I never expected to stand: with one foot on that side of the wall and the other on this side, looking along it, drinking tea handed out by British squaddies.

OTOH, I'm not impressed with US citizens, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the US *government*, joining forces with Colonel Ghadaffi and planting bombs next to my mother and detonating them in the Houses of Parliament.

The US isn't as white as some people would like to believe. It was, however, better than communism.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Why is it that these "professionals" can NOT get the sound to be in sync with the video? A 5-year old can do better with an old-fashioned Super-8 mechanical hand-held camera. Or their "phone".

Reply to
Robert Baer

But slowly getting worse. Just wait for the next President; if either "old Hil" or "Trumppie", the shit will REALLY hit the fan.

Reply to
Robert Baer