pcb fab for low power plane impedance

Can anyone recommend a pcb fab (not necessarily in the UK) that can fabricate a board in which the spacing between the power and ground planes can be around 65um or less? The complete board has 16 layers and there are two power/ground layer pairs that I would like with as small a gap as possible. The reason is, I have only recently understood that the power plane impedance above the last zero of the decoupling caps (~ 30MHZ) is just given by the bare pcb self- inductance. The bare pcb self-inductance is proportional to the inter- plane gap and so I want this as small as possible. The pcb fab that my employer habitually uses can only fab boards with a gap h=150um with er=4.2 dielectric which corresponds to a power plane impedance of |Z| =130mOhms at 100MHz. However, I've heard anecdotally that some pcb fabs will do 65um.

Stephen

stebla

It's not such a big deal. It is a patented process and you will have to find a shop that is ZBC approved. It's ridiculous but there you have it. At least that's how it works out in North America. And where did you get that 30MHz figure from? Are you using 0805 caps or something? You have to use 0201caps with two vias per pad. Anyways, you have to pay a fee to use this PCB technology. You can dance around the issue if you can convince an unlicensed PCB shop that you are not using the PCB as a capacitor, but to "control impedance".

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Hi, Stephen

What are you building? At 16 layers, it must be ambitious.

I've done a bit of TDR testing of actual PCBs, without and then with bypass caps. It appears to me that with moderate (say, 100-250 um) plane spacings, there's a generous overlap of frequency ranges in which the plane is a good bypass, and where the caps are effective. So there's no need to go to very thin dielectrics.

And decoupling caps are still low impedance past their series self-resonant points. They don't become useless, they simply look like a cap in series with their small lead inductance, no surprise.

So go with a reasonable plane spacing and pepper the board with 0805 or 0603 caps; 0.1 or 0.33 uF are good choices and are cheap. There's really no justification for mixing cap values... the ESL is determined by body size and vias, so more C is better. The Spice models that people love to publish, with the bypass SRF dips all superimposed, are just plain (plane?) silly.

Is your board impedance controlled? That gets nasty at high layer counts.

John

I never understood some of those claims - I still see things like a 0.01 uf cap in // with a 0.1 in // with a 0.33 uF cap, sometimes even in data sheets!. (I suppose if someone spaced the caps apart enough, it could form a nasty LC Pi filter, and the different values could dampen the different resonances) It might be left from the days of through hole and high impedance electrolytics // ed with a disc cap. A smaller capacity MLCC cap is not as good at high frequency as a larger capacity cap in the same package and construction methods. Cap data sheets which show resonant points / impendence graphs show a shift to the left with respect to frequency in the self resonant points as the cap capacity shrinks, with larger caps showing a lower impedance then the smaller caps before, at and after the self resonant point. Series inductance is the limit, not the cap size

For really good bypassing you can try the 0306, 0508 and 0612 capacitors for much lowered inductance! They seem to work quite well, but it's likely cheaper to plop down several 0603 caps in // then to buy one "sideways" low impedance cap. Using more then one via per pad also helps lower the inductance.

Reply to
Jeff L

The biggest problem for manufacturer is not using the ZBC1 or ZBC2 materials but:

- registration problems using very low thickness material (any lamination need a central core with a largest thickness than the others layers of the lamination)

- simetry problems in laminated stack (the laminations must be simetricaly)

- keeping the number of laminations as low as possible (most manufacturesr will say 3)

- blind and buried vias (including laser drilled vias) can't be manufactured on less than

0.003" or 0.0025" tickness by most manufacturers

Even the gap between power and ground is less than 65um, some vias connected with power or ground will require copper plating, which will increase the copper layer thickness.

So, you need a deep talk with your manufacturer before sending the gerbers. The problem with those talks are the fact that often you need to redesing entire stuff once or twice before they gave you the ok for manufaturing.

I will focus to tawanese manufactures if the price is an issue.

Reply to
vasile

I'd like to see sources for either claim. We are in the process of transferring large chunks of our startup capital into the pockets of consultants which are making us place the classic "octave of caps" like 18pf, 22pf, 33pf,47pf, 100pf on sensitive analog nets. We are running at 6GBps+ and looking at mV of noise on reference signals.

I understand that the superposition of bode plots for each cap is meaningless since the point we are decoupling doesn't "see" the caps, it sees what it sees. The caps are "parasitic L" further away than the point that needs the charge.

My personal take on it is to reduce the parasitic L by using 0201 caps with two vias per pad, and use the largest C value possible in the package. A point of view not shared by others.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

There's no shortage of sources for claims here. There are a lot of silly claims.

Not Howard Johnson, I hope! All those caps are ludicrous.

Overkill. I do tiny signals with picosecond timing that would be trashed by millivolt noise, on the same board with uPs and bus interfaces and switching regulators. Most of our jitter problems can be found with a 1 MHz oscilloscope, looking at supply ripple and such.

As I noted, the ground planes themselves are an excellent low-impedance structure, with a broad overlap with a scattering of caps. The dual-via thing doesn't help enough to matter.

Fire those consultants before they bleed you dry, and get your product working. Where are you located?

John

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote: (snip)

This article sounds like he is not (no longer?) advocating a multiple parallel capacitor approach.

John Popelish

Hi John, I need 0201 caps so I can squeeze all the decoupling, coupling and terminating networks close enough to the MLF16 packages. It would be a strange sight to see MLF16 with something as big as 0603 or 0805s around it. 0402 is already hampering me enough as it stands.

The problem I think we have is that our board is so physically small, that we can't get any significant charge stored in PCB. The planes are eaten up by vias.

I can understand using board capacitance if you're building VME sized cards or 19 inch rack mount stuff. My stuff is the size of a CC.

What's wrong with Johnson? I thought he was the one backing the "biggest cap you can find" theory?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Thanks for hint about ZBC cores, I had not heard of this core material, their website says that a core called BC12 has er=4.2 and the gap between the power and ground plane is 12um.

I wrote a little program to numerically (using R.F.Harrington's method of moments) solve the scalar Helmholtz equation for the electric field in the gap between the power and ground plane. I assumed that the E-field was only in the z-direction (normal to the planes) and that it did not depend on z so it was just Ez(x,y) and that the effect of the decoupling caps could be modelled as line sources of displacement current extending in the z-direction between the planes. I looked at the results of this program in order to get a feel for what is going on in terms of a circuit model for power plane impedance.

At low frequency the impedance of a bare pcb (without any decoupling caps) is the impedance the planar pcb capacitance Cpcb. At higher frequencies there is a zero in the impedance when the planar capacitance cancels the bare pcb inductance Lpcb. Values for a 100mm x 100mm area with er=4.2 and the gap h=150um are Lpcb=114pH and Cpcb=2.5nF with the zero at about

300MHz. The decoupling caps are connected in parallel and attached to the node joining Lpcb and Cpcb. The Spice network would be,

Lpcb port n001 114pH Cpcb n001 0 2.5nF

  • One species of cap, 20 caps each with Lesl=1.5nH and C=100nF Leff n001 n002 75pH Ceff n002 0 2uF

where Leff and Ceff are the effective series inductance and capacitance of a string of decoupling caps of a single species all in parallel.

If there are enough decoupling caps so that the effective inductance of the decoupling caps is less than the pcb inductance (LeffCpcb then the zero of the decoupling caps at 1/sqrt(Leff*Ceff) does not appear and there is a zero at 1/sqrt(Lpcb*Ceff) which is below the resonance of the caps alone. Above this frequency the pcb looks inductive. That is how I got the 30MHz figure in my original post; I found that if I used many small value caps (say 1nF), the expected hole in the impedance at the (relatively high frequency) resonance of the small caps did not appear and the resonance was always at the lower frequency of

1/sqrt(Lpcb*Ceff). For the typical values in the example, this zero is just above 10MHz.

Above this zero the power-plane impedance looks like the impedance of the bare pcb as Z=s*Lpcb. Then, there is a closely spaced pole/zero pair that marks the point at which the power plane impedance looks exactly like a bare pcb. This pole/zero pair is at 1/sqrt(Leff*Cpcb). For the example this is at 370MHz.

The bare pcb inductance Lpcb is proportional to the interplane gap and since the power plane impedance is Z=s*Lpcb above the zero at

1/sqrt(Lpcb*Ceff), it makes sense to have a small gap as possible and hence the ZBC cores look interesting. However, the sanmina-sci.com website says that the use of these cores can reduce the number of decoupling caps, but the power-plane impedance only goes as s*Lpcb provided that there are enough decoupling caps that LeffLpcb then the power plane impedance is dominated by the inductance of the caps and Z=s*Leff and you've lost the effect of the small pcb inductance until the frequency is above the pole/zero pair at 1/sqrt(Leff*Cpcb) at which the pcb looks exactly like a bare pcb.

Stephen

stebla

NJPCB is fab so pcb is well.

snipped-for-privacy@bluey> > > >