pcb edge clips

I'd like to find some metal clips that would clip and solder to the edges of a small PCB, to make that board surface-mount onto a larger board.

_____ | _____| | |__

or something like that.

Googling is ambiguous, or maybe I'm using the wrong terms.

Any suggestions?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Autosplice or NAS/Interplex used to sell them on bandoliers.

Looks like Autosplice ran into patent issues - but they have a solder ball smd offering.

RL

Reply to
legg

I don't know who sells them, but similar pins are used with LCD displays. You might check with some of those companies. Pacific, AND, Varitronix...

--

Rick C
Reply to

I've seen something like that used on LCD glass.

Jasen Betts

I might've seen EMI shield clips like that. Give Laird a look. Natch, you won't have high pin density or anything... this would be more for power.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Cydrome Leader

That looks like useful stuff, but all the surface mount clips are half a mil minimum order quantity.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Den torsdag den 7. juli 2016 kl. 01.15.42 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

why not just use the pads? sorta like a QFN package

or castellated vias if you want to make it a bit easier to hand solder

-Lasse

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

SMT LED packages (TMB, for Transfer Molded Board) are small PCBs sliced right through the PTHes. Of course the thermal gradients during cool-down would cause residual stress with a larger daughterboard, and something easier to clean under would be nice.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

castellated vias seems quite common for RF modules and some BGAs are basically a chip on a PCB

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We've done that before, like in this adapter:

but for obscure reasons I'd like to lift the baby board up a bit.

 Click to see the full signature

Den torsdag den 7. juli 2016 kl. 23.21.03 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

these look interesting

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks for the links.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Digi International is trying to cash in on your idea.

"Digi SMTplus form factor (patent pending)"

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

If they are trying to patent the sliced pads, they can't, because we sold our boards about a decade ago. And we didn't even invent the idea.

 Click to see the full signature

I have about half a reel of TMB-packaged 1206 LEDs from about 1999, so it' even older than that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Would castellated half-vias (vias that are half-cut-off at the edge of the board) work for you?

Przemek Klosowski

As I mentioned a few posts up, we have done that. But in this case I really want to lift the baby board a bit above the main board.