PCB drilling: problem solved

I've been drilling PCBs for years with a regular handheld electric

> drill and non-carbide bits. I've had surprisingly good results and > broke very few bits. But holding that drill does get old after about > 100 holes. > > I'm looking for an alternative solution to this. A drill press at >
looks decent for 150-200 USD. How about a Dremel? > This seems like an ideal solution, but I've been reading a lot about > the Dremel drill press stands that aren't precise enough (too much > wobble for carbide bits). Ebay has a lot of super-cheap small drill > presses, but the price makes me think they're junk. > > What does everyone do, besides pay a PCB house?

I solved my problem. I liked the idea of a Dremel and a drill press stand, but didn't like the grumblings about the rigidity of the stand. I know some have claimed the older stands are better, but didn't want to mess with it. So, I found another company that makes rotory tools and a nice sturdy stand. Proxxon, which I know someone here has mentioned, makes a very nice rotary tool, and a very solid stand, although with a bit of "made in Taiwan" cheapness. But the stand is solid as far as drilling is concerned.

BTW the rotary tool doesn't seem cheap at all, and is made in DE and LU.

Reply to
hondgm

If you can't afford 33$ to have a two-sided plated-through-hole board with solder mask and silkscreen made, how can you afford the tools, chemicals, materials, time and space to futz around to end up with an inferior product in every way?

The mentality of you DIY PCB guys baffles me totally.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

If you only have enough money for a $3.00 board, and $2.00 worth of etchant, and need it right now ...

Well, you "appliance operators" have never understood "Real Hobbyists" anyway. ;-) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yep. I needed four (peripheral) USB jacks for a recent project. I ended up buying four iPod Shuffle (old style) docking stations on clearance at Radio Shack for $3. Not only did they have the socket I needed, but also came with cables and other goodies I can use. ;-)

For me this really is a hobby, so I really don't have any deadlines to meet. And since I've got three kids, I've got little money for the hobby to begin with.

Jeff

     safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett\'s Familiar Quotations (1919)
Reply to
Jeff Findley

Who says people who make DIY PCBs can't afford professionally made ones? I roll my own because I can have a finished board in a couple of hours rather than a couple of weeks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Speed is the reason I do it, I can make a prototype PCB at home in about 30 minutes.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Exactly! I keep my etching machine around just in case I want a simple PCB quick.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

if you pay an extra $10 for fedex delievery, you can have shipped overnight

Reply to
bungalow_steve

if you pay an extra $10 for fedex delievery, you can have shipped overnight

Reply to
bungalow_steve

With that logic, why climb the mountain when you can rent a helicopter and fly up there. Because we can make our own and prototypes don't have to be made with professional pcb's, they just have to work.

Reply to
James Thompson

You also have to pay for rush service *buildling* the board, which can sometimes double the price. And you still won't have it for a few days, because it still takes 1-2 days to make the board, plus a day to ship it. The last board I had made took almost three weeks from ordering to possession, because I couldn't justify the cost of "fast" service.

You can mask, etch, and drill a board in about an hour. I do my own boards for all my one-shot boards (i.e. prototypes, test boards, socket adapters, etc), but send out for the "final" boards. I might revise a board a few times in a day before I get it right.

Plus it's more fun to do it yourself sometimes.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

"Fedex. When it absolutely, positively, doesn't have to be there until tomorrow."

Reply to
DJ Delorie

It's not a matter of being able to afford it. I'm impatient, and it's not economical for me. Did I mention I'm impatient? The last board I did, just a week or two ago, is single side, all through hole, and would cost $60 USD total from PCBCART in 7 days. I only need one. No soldermask, silkscreen, nothing extra.

All my tools/materials for doing my own cost much less than $200. Chemicals and consumable materials are cheap. $60 for one 3.5x7 inch, single side board. Plus I wait a FULL WEEK. That's about 1/3 the cost of my tools/materials alone.

How does it make sense again to have a PCB house make all your PCBs??

Reply to
hondgm

The mentality of the out-source brigade baffles me. Despite all the PCB house promises, and their "premium-rush" charges, they always seem to end up a day late with creative excuses "Ah-ha we received the files at 0802, they must be there by 0800" --- "It's a public holiday in Mongolia" ---- : "We had them our ready, but the Fedex guy missed his pickup, real bad luck" and so on. There seems to be no way to get a PCB in less than 3-4 days. Even goofing about, I can make a prototype in a couple of hours.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

And before anyone mentions "precision"...

That's an 01005 capacitor next to a TVSOP (0.4mm pitch) part, hand-soldered onto a home-made board. Photo taken with a microscope.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

So you only have one design happening at a time? Work on one thing, send off the gerbers, start the next idea, by the time you are bored with that the PCBs will have arrived, so you can get un/board/bored playing on the workbench, then when you get bored back to the next or last but one idea.

and nothing ever gets finished :-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Late at night, by candle light, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com penned this immortal opus:

For the investment you can make many boards, with a significant reduction in per board cost, even the one-offs.

Hobbyists don't care about the extra time and labor, they do it for fun.

Some designers make initial prototypes, it's a lot faster than waiting for the boardhouse to get off its ass.

That said, if a design is done and is sellable it's time to send it off for professional fabrication.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

You really are sick :-) Welcome to the club!

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

cheap. $60 for one 3.5x7 inch,

Yeah, I got something going on like that. I've been working on it since the start of the year, here and there. I've already made one nice build on a PCB, but I found out the hard way that the switching regulator doesn't like long traces! I'll get it done some day.....

Reply to
hondgm

I designed a little double-sided board once, that I could make 6 of out of one piece of PCB material. I took my tape-up (Yes, tape on mylar, with some ink here and there) to a photo shop guy, and asked him i fhe could print it 6-up, registered. He said, "No Problem!" It wasn't very expensive. I exposed the board in the afternoon sun and etched it in the driveway.

It worked, and it was great fun!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise