PC oscilloscope screenshot sizing

I often put screenshots in documents taken from a PC 'scope. It would be handy if there were some way of setting the window size on the PC to something repeatable. Is there some utility for this, or perhaps a Windows 10 feature I'm unaware of?

I can't just use full screen as it's enormous and the resulting screenshot has tiny numbers/legends.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

You should keep the resolution at the native resolution for your (assuming LCD) monitor. After you take a screenshot just drop it into a editor like mtPaint:

Use the crop tool to crop the to just the PC scope window. Then select "Scale Canvas", check "Fix Aspect Ratio" and set the image width and height that you want. If you have the option use bilinear resizing if you're shrinking and bicubic to enlarge.

Reply to
bitrex

'kinell.

I click on the 'scope window, then alt-PrtSc to copy that window, then ctrl-v to paste it into the document. No cropping or editing needed. All I'd like is some way to set the size repeatably.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

It takes literally 10 seconds...outside of that you can try hitting control + X when you close the window and it should return to the size you set next time you start it up (might not work with all software tho.)

Outside of that you'll have to install some kind of window-management third party software because AFAIK I don't think any version of Windows comes with the kind of feature you're wanting stock

Reply to
bitrex

Holding control while you click the "X" to close the window, rather.

Reply to
bitrex

Irfanview will crop and re-pixel an image.

Word lets you resize and crop an image inside a document.

I usually photograph the screen of a scope, rather than letting the scope make the image itself. That's more flexible and in my opinion usually looks better.

lunatic fringe electronics

How about cloning the oscilloscope icon and assuming Win10 has the same backwards compatibility options as Win7 (I haven't checked)

Right click, Properties, Compatibility and tick [X] Run in 640x480 screen resolution

So you have a version which runs in a fixed size window.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Den fredag den 1. december 2017 kl. 16.16.06 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

yet another great application for a smart phone, a swipe and a tap and two seconds later you have the picture in your dropbox

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I usually pull the numerical data into my computer and then use gnuplot. That has great documentary value and I can re-process the data later if some new question comes up. For publication quality pictures, I can produce eps files from the same data.

I even do that for my >40y old Tek 7904 with the 7S11/S-6 sampler plug-in. It's cool to average the sampler noise away and see tiny signals emerge.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I use a real camera and a sort of a tripod thing to get sharp pics. Phone pictures are usually awful.

And I can include a post-it for context.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den fredag den 1. december 2017 kl. 17.17.47 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

they are?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The ones that people send me usually are.

Was that hand-held?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den fredag den 1. december 2017 kl. 21.02.32 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

yep

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Try MWsnap, it can grab a fixed portion of the screen

Martin Riddle

An interesting idea, but that selection is greyed out on my Windows 10 PC.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yes, but at the moment I just do Alt-Printscreen to capture the window, then Ctrl-V to paste it, it couldn't be quicker and there are a lot to do.

Looks like I need to cut a piece of paper the right size.

In my case, capturing the 'scope window screen also shows the settings.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Thanks, but Alt-Printscreen captures the active window.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

At least five times longer that Alt-Printscreen followed by Ctrl-V.

Didn't work with this software, but thanks for the suggestion, I was unaware of that.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

You should look at 'autohotkey ' it will resize and move windows.

Martin Riddle

You need a hacker to write a little utility for you..

FindWindow, Screen capture to an image, print!

I would think the software for the scope has a quick key to export the image to a file.. Have you looked?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook